Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stain a bedside table to match other furniture?

nuzbee
Just Starting Out

How to stain a bedside table to match other furniture?

we recently purchased new bedside tables from adairs and though they are beautiful, unfortunately, the stain of the wood doesn't match our floors or any other furniture. It is too "yellow" and warm. Is there a way to easily stain these tables taking into account I am a complete novice. 

Screen Shot 2024-06-05 at 5.51.29 pm.pngScreen Shot 2024-06-05 at 5.53.40 pm.png 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stain a bedside table to match other furniture?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @nuzbee. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about staining a bedside table.

Staining your bedside tables to match your other furniture is possible, but it requires some careful preparation. Since the tables are veneered over Pine and MDF, you'll need to sand the veneer lightly to help the stain penetrate. Be very cautious during this process, as the veneer is thin, and sanding too aggressively could expose the underlying pine or MDF, which would be difficult to repair.

Start using fine-grit sandpaper, such as 220-grit, and gently sand the surface until it feels slightly rough to the touch. You'll need to remove the coating they've applied. Wipe away dust with a clean, damp cloth before applying the stain. Test the stain on a small, inconspicuous area first to ensure it achieves the desired colour and that it penetrates the veneer. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to stain an indoor table.

Remember your PPE, including safety glasses, a dust mask and gloves.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

thanks so much Mitchell, how do I know that I have sanded it enough but not too much? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Once you've sanded through the coating and exposed raw timber @nuzbee. It will be a little hard to gauge, but you should notice the difference between the coating and the timber. The timber will also absorb the stain whereas it will run off the coating. Testing if the stain absorbs will likely be the best way to determine whether you've sanded enough.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects