Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to soundproof common walls?

tlshaw
Just Starting Out

How to soundproof common walls?

I live in a duplex so I have common walls with next door, I'm in need of effective soundproofing products for existing walls.  The below wall in particular which is a big issue for me is this brick wall that has two panels of glass bricks. This wall is in my lounge/dining area but is next doors outdoor area.

tlshaw_1-1724046442449.png

tlshaw_2-1724046591004.png

Would anyone have any advice on how best to sound proof this wall please?

Tracey

Bandicoot
Getting Established

Re: How to soundproof common walls?

Best way to insulate a glass wall (assuming you need the light) is to put another layer of glass in front of it; the thicker, the better.  For good sound insulation it needs to be sealed around the edges with at least a 2cm space, however a full seal is difficult to achieve and you may get condensation in the cavity, as one side is going to be colder than the other.  Making it occasionally removable may be a sensible compromise, or use a patterned/frosted glass and put up with the condensation; leave some drain holes at the bottom. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to sound proof common walls?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tlshaw. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about insulating a wall.

Here's a helpful guide you might like to read through: How to soundproof your home.

Since the glass area is recessed, you could create a timber frame with 70 x 35mm timber to sit within it. You can then install insulation with sound-deadening properties within the frame and Soundchek plasterboard over it. Ensure you seal all gaps around the plasterboard with sealant.

The combination of sound insulation and the dense plasterboard should effectively reduce sound transfer through the glass bricks.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects