Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to shorten table legs?

AngryBird
Building a Reputation

How to shorten table legs?

recently purchased this Viviendo side table https://www.bunnings.com.au/viviendo-industrial-style-c-shaped-side-table-bedside-table_p0418108?gad...

I over looked the height measurements, I dont fancy my chances at a refund, so the only other option is to alter it. It is way too high for my use. My sofa it too low, I wanted to use it to put my computer on, but at its current height it would be up near my chin when I am seated on the sofa.

My question is how to I shorten the legs so it is still balanced, also in each leg is the little duvalacky that the screws go into, so I would have to put them in the newly cut legs..

I need help please any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regardsViviendo laptop table.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to shorten table legs?

Hi @AngryBird,

Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, in line with our returns policy, as this is a Marketplace line shipped by Big Box Store if you'd like to explore the possibility of a return, you'll need to contact them for assistance.

I imagine that as you are reducing the height of the legs the centre of gravity will be lowered so its ability to support weight shouldn't be reduced assuming you make a clean, square cut across each metal leg that ensures the tabletop sits flat.

If the "duvalacky", which I'm assuming is some kind of threaded insert that accepts a screw, can be removed from the end of the legs, you might be able to simply cut the legs with a hacksaw then reinstall it and screw everything back together. Some testing may be needed to see if this is possible before committing to this plan.

If you were going to cut the legs, I'd suggest using a square such as this Craftright 300mm Combination Square to ensure your cut is nice and square.

Unfortunately, I can't guarantee this will work, but it is worth a shot if you can't return it and are unhappy with the height.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

AngryBird
Building a Reputation

Hi JacobZ,

Thankyou for our reply. I am sorry about calling it a Duvalacky but I honestly did not know what to call that part as I am not a handy person. I dont use hardware and probably wont even end up being the one to do the job (if I can persuade my handy-er friends to do it for me). But I like to get all the info and know how to do it for myself if the need arises. I will definetly look into getting that craftright combination square you suggested.

Kind regards

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @AngryBird,

There's no need to apologise, duvalacky is a term that has been used in my home for my entire life. I understood completely, I just thought I'd try to clarify for anyone else reading along who might not be so sure.

Keep us in the loop. If you need a hand along the way, don't hesitate to reach out.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects