Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to securely insert back a cut piece in internal door?

Bell_1986
Cultivating a Following

How to securely insert back a cut piece in internal door?

Hi ☺️ 

I want to lower this pet door in internal standard door, unfortunately I installed it perfectly although too high. Instead of getting another door I was hoping I could place back in part of the cut out piece to make up the gap for when I place the door in lower. Although I'm not sure on best way to secure the part of cut out piece back in to the door? I then can place some superfresco wall paper over door to decorate and hide any marks.  

1000013063.jpg

  

1000013062.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: securely inserting back a cut piece in internal door

Evening @Bell_1986 

If we know the internal dimension indicated below - we could insert a length of wood, the same width, but a slightly longer length. You would approach the cavity with the wood at an angle and 'twist' into position and glue. The bottom edge of course now being at the new lower height that you require.

Take the required amount of Masonite from your original off-cut matching the original cuts and apply to both sides of the new piece of wood with glue.

Fill gaps.

Paint.

Install the doggy door.

I hope that makes sense.

Capture.PNG

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: securely inserting back a cut piece in internal door

Hello @Bell_1986 

Thanks for sharing your question about your pet door. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Noyade. I totally agree with his recommendation, I was actually going to suggest using offcut pine pieces, but if you can find a timber piece that is easier to use then I propose going with that instead.

My only recommendation is to fit the pet door first so that you can cut the door piece that needs to go back in perfectly. You can then take the pet door out and insert the timber pieces into the patch and glue them into place. Make sure that the cut door piece is in perfect alignment with the door. This will allow you to use a surface filler to cover the joint between the door and the patch.  

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects