Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair rubber coming off window frame?

audzzz
Finding My Feet

How to repair rubber coming off window frame?

image004.jpeg

image003.jpeg

Hi all, 

im very new to the community and due to recent heavy downpours and strong wind in Melbourne, I noticed the rubber seal(?) of my window have came off. I would really appreciate for some guidance whether this can be DIYed to replace or glue back to place? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: need help with rubber coming off from window frame

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @audzzz. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about window seals.

I suspect the seal is deteriorated, which has led to it falling out. The heavy downpours have likely dislodged it. Over time, window seals can shrink, causing them to pull out of the window frame. This can lead to drafts and water leaks, especially during heavy downpours and strong winds.

To address this issue, you'll need to either re-install the existing seal or replace it if it's damaged. First, inspect the seal to check its condition. If it's just pulled out but still in good shape, you might be able to re-install it by pushing it back into place, making sure it's seated properly with no gaps. However, if the seal is damaged or shrunken, you must replace it with the correct type for your window. Before doing either, clean the area where the seal sits to ensure proper adhesion.

Given the height, the need to ensure the correct seal is re-installed, and that the weatherproofing is completed correctly, I recommend enlisting the services of a professional glazier. They have the expertise to ensure the job is done properly, which can save you from potential issues down the line.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

hi Mitchell,

thank you for the response. Is such rubber strip available in bunnings? It is rather difficult to find a glazier that is willing to fix this. 

I would also like to note that I have observed water coming from the part where glass and metal meet, and also a metal piece in the middle that seems hollow. Like a flashing piece 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @audzzz,

These bits of rubber, often referred to as glazing wedge, expand and contract a great deal with changing temperatures, so it is likely that it has simply come out of the channel from movement caused by expansion and contraction, and can be pressed back into place.

I'd suggest trying to see if you can wedge it back in place before looking for a suitable replacement as it looks like it's still in decent condition.

Reinstalling this wedge will likely stop the water entry issue, but if you find water is still getting in after the rubber is reinstalled, you can use Selleys Translucent Exterior Neutral Cure Silicone to seal any gaps where water might be entering.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects