Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair cracked cornice?

margiemh
Getting Established

How to repair cracked cornice?

Hi, I repaired cracked cornice, now it looks worse.  I cannot find that same profile size which is 65mm. So I would like to try again to repair, now I am wondering if there is a tool out there that can be used to fit that cornice curved profile if I put some sort of plaster there?

IMG20240831123406.jpgIMG20240831123410.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Cornices cracked and flaky in bedroom

Hello @margiemh 

It is a bit of worry if flakes keep coming off the cornice. Have you tried to sand the surface of the cornice until it stops flaking? the final result should be that you'll get a powdered residue instead of flakes coming off. The only reason I can think of why you are getting flakes is because the old paint coating has deteriorated badly. The other reason is that a new coat of paint was placed over an old coat that was not prepared properly.

If this happens then any sealer or coating placed over the defective coating will fall off in flakes. I propose sanding the surface of the old cornice thoroughly before you attempt to coat it with any type of paint or filler. Make sure to wipe and clean the surface of the cornice before you with Selleys Sugar Soap Wall Cleaning Wipes. I also suggest having a look at these discussions - Interior cornice is loose, how-to re-attach without removing? by @dr_harika and How to repair a cracked cornice.

If you can share a photo of the cornice, that will give our members a better idea of its current state. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
margiemh
Getting Established

Re: Cornices cracked and flaky in bedroom

Many thanks Eric for your response.

There is a problem with the removal of flaky bits of cornice, that is once I have sanded and then fill, well how do I get the correct profile back?  I did look in Bunnings for a rounded tool, but couldn't find one.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair cracked cornice?

Hello @margiemh 

Can I please request for a closeup photo of the flaking surface and the part you repaired? This will give our members a better idea of what's happening. We can then make recommendations on what steps to take. Technically after you've sanded the surface of the cornice there is no need to fill it unless there are large irregularities on the surface of your cornice. The purpose of sanding the surface is to remove the flaking bits of paint and getting a nice smooth surface. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects