Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stain stair treads? Sandwich method?

Mysquare
Just Starting Out

How to stain stair treads? Sandwich method?

As a beginner, how could I stain my stair treads? Cabot's stuff told me to use sandwich method.  Put clear coat first, and stain it later.

"Being your first time, the sandwich method would be best for you to achieve an even and consistent finish."IMG_0505.JPG

And  what are the pros & cons for sandwich method and normal way( stain & vanish direct on timber)?

Attached photo is half way to sand it to bare timber(treads & hand rails only), risers and newels will be painted to white.

Thanks a lot!

Updated photo: Treads edge vanish has been stripped.sand the treads edgesand the treads edge

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to stain stair treads? Sandwich method?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Mysquare. We're pleased to have you join us. 

The Cabots team know their stuff so I'm sure their recommendation is a great way to go. Unfortunately our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts are not on hand to confirm at the moment, so let me tag a few other experienced members to get their advice on how to proceed: @Nailbag@Dave-1 and @JoeAzza.

Thanks for your patience in the meantime. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Mysquare 

I would have to agree with @Jason that the Cabot's people would be the experts when it comes to their products. From personal experience, once a clear coating has been applied to raw timber, any stain thats applied afterwards isn't going to soak in. This gives a completely different finish to applying stain first, then a clear afterwards.

Nailbag.

Mysquare
Just Starting Out

Thanks for tagging other experts who might can help.

Thanks for your advice.

Would like to know what the difference with those two different method. 

Also, Cons & Pros.

Maybe I can test them with two ways.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Mysquare 

One of the drawbacks of directly applying the stain on your timber surface if not done properly will create varying degrees of dark and light finishes. You'll also see where the brush strokes end and where it begins. Some Cabot's products can be diluted to allow you to paint a light stain first and apply a second to keep a uniform finish. 

Your idea of testing both methods is exactly what I was going to suggest. My best advice is to grab a large piece of timber off cut, sanding it down and testing both methods next to each other. This will give you an idea of what the finish will look like once it is applied. You can then ask the other members of your family household for a vote on which finish they prefer.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @Mysquare 

Sorry I missed the post. Tho my thinking follows along with "Cabbots team know their prodcut the best and follow the instructions to the letter" and test on an offcut to be confidant its what you want. Especiially after all that sanding! That is effort plus!

Just as a side note I like oiling the timber, I like the feel it gives the timber and look. To oil your steps tho all the old varnish/clear coat would have to be gone otherwise it would stand out easily.

Dave

Mysquare
Just Starting Out

Thanks, will do.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects