Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair cracked cornice?

margiemh
Getting Established

How to repair cracked cornice?

Hi, I repaired cracked cornice, now it looks worse.  I cannot find that same profile size which is 65mm. So I would like to try again to repair, now I am wondering if there is a tool out there that can be used to fit that cornice curved profile if I put some sort of plaster there?

IMG20240831123406.jpgIMG20240831123410.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: One side of bedroom cornice is cracked, I repaired, not very weIl.

Hi @margiemh,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Is it possible to get some closer photos of the issue you are having? 

It looks like the top edge may have some slight cracking, but it's very difficult to see the issue from the photos you have provided. If this is the case, you might like to check out How to repair a cracked cornice for a step-by-step guide on how to fix this issue.

Is it also possible to get a photo with a tape measure against the cornice for scale? 

I have found that cornice is very difficult to measure as the measurement refers to the radius of the cornice as opposed to the measurement across the curved section. I note that there are options for 55mm and 75mm Cove Cornice from CSR. One of these may actually be closer to the size of your cornice than you suspect. If they do turn out to be a close profile, they can be ordered through your local store's Special Orders desk.

Also, allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any advice to offer, @Dave-1, @Noyade, @Jewelleryrescue, @Nailbag.

Let me know how you go with those additional images and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @margiemh 

as @JacobZ mentioned we would need a few more clear photos far and close as I can't tell where the issue is.

To know if it's 55mm or 75mm cornice, just measure its height as per image below.

Nailbag 

Screenshot 2024-09-01 at 3.00.54 PM.png

margiemh
Getting Established

Many thanks Nailbag, I've got it now, I did measure incorrectly, I went along the curve!  So I'm all good now, I will remove that one cracked cornice and replace with a new one.  I won't be sending any other photos, as I will not attempt to repair, now that I know I can replace.

Thank you once again.

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Nice one @margiemh glad we were of help.

Nailbag

margiemh
Getting Established

Many thanks Jacob for your quick response.

Cheers,

Margie

margiemh
Getting Established

How to fix cracked and flaky cornices?

Hi, I have tried to repair cracked cornices, but they continue to flake away whilst I am placing the Parfix Multipurpose filler on the cracks.  When I apply the filler, more old stuff just comes away.  So I have been applying with a spatula and small roller, to smooth it over.  I have done this before, and when I sanded it a few days later, it just flakes away again.  Any good clues or tips please?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to fix cracked and flaky cornices?

Hi @margiemh,

Sorry to see you are still having trouble. 

As there is going to be a delay before one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts can assist, let me tag a few other helpful members for their thoughts: @homeinmelbourne@Brad and @Nailbag.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @margiemh 

Without any photos to get a better idea of what's going on, I can only think that the cracked areas need to be dug out more to remove anything loose before applying the filler. But only use the Parafix to fill the deepest part of the holes/cracks to just below the surface. Allow it to dry for a few days and then use a skim coat over the top to either side of the crack. This would only then need a very light sand to finish. And make sure you're sanding away all of the old paint either side of the cracks to give skim coat more surface area to stick to.

Nailbag

margiemh
Getting Established

Hi Nailbag, many thanks for your response.  The fact is when I touch the cornice, it just continues to flake off, I reckon if I do what you suggested, there will be no cornice left, also the ceiling is beginning to come away.  It sure is a problem!    Anyway, I did fill it best I could yesterday again with Parafix.  I also think if I sand it carefully more flaking will appear.  Do you think if I were to use "skim coat" over where I have filled that would be okay?  Then I will paint it.  

thanks again,

Margie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects