Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair broken shelves and front of wardrobe?

Sunda
Building a Reputation

How to repair broken shelves and front of wardrobe?

Hi everyone,

I need your advice.

I have recently returned to my home after renting it out for a while as I was away for work.

However, I noticed there are some minor damages and rusted pantry railing.

I have tried to polish the rusted railings... but there are still some rusts,, so not sure whether I can replace it?

Also with the wardrobe shelf (464 * 445mm), I realised it is not the common measurement that are sold in Bunnings. I am wondering whether it is possible to get a a wardrobe shelf from Bunnings and cut into the desired measurement? And if Bunnings provide such services?

And what I can do with the dent on the front of the wardrobe?

I have attached the pics of the damages for your reference.

IMG_9023.jpgMain bedroom Wardrobe Door.jpgIMG_8977.jpgIMG_8979.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Need advice on repair broken shelves and front of wardrobe

Hello @Sunda 

Thanks for sharing your question about your broken wardrobe shelves. In order to properly service your wardrobe shelves, the cabinet must be removed from the wardrobe so that the shelf can be unscrewed from the cabinet. In regards to the shelves, you'll need to cut them yourself as the shop saws are not built to do precision cuts.    

However, if you can't remove the cabinet, the screw that is holding the broken shelf must be removed from the other side of the panel. Once that screw is taken out you can remove the broken piece. I propose using Selleys 130g Liquid Nails Fast Grab Strong Adhesive to glue the broken piece back on. In order to get a good flat finish, I recommend using a Craftright 100mm G-Clamp to press the two pieces together. When the glue cures, I suggest drilling a new pilot hole for the shelf so that when you put the screw back into its original position it will not split the timber repair work.    

To halt and slow down the rust on your hinge and pullout drawer, I suggest removing them from the cabinet and sanding away as much of the rust as possible. I then recommend wiping the surface with a clean rag and DIGGERS 125ml Isopropyl Alcohol - 125ml. The last step will be to spray it with Dy-Mark 350g MetalPro Rust Converter. Please note that the spray colour is black and will not match the silver finish of your metal drawers. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sunda
Building a Reputation

Thank yoou for your advice, EricL.

I really appreciate it.

I am wondering if Hillmark 250ml Steel Power Stainless Steel Cleaner will be able to reduce the rust?

I am wondering if you would be able to advise me on how to rectify the dent on the front of the wardrobe door?

I really appreciate your advice on the matter.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Sunda 

The Hillmark 250ml Steel Power Stainless Steel Cleaner will not be able to remove the rust in the appliances. I suspect that your tenants accidentally sprayed a cleaning chemical in the drawer and has reacted badly with the stainless steel. As to the dent on the wardrobe door, I suggest tapping it from the back with a hammer and using a Sharpie Medium White Paint Marker to disguise the dent at the front.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects