Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to render interior wall?

Gemofalltrades
Finding My Feet

How to render interior wall?

Hi all,

I've just pulled out an old wardrobe in my bedroom, and it turns out a big part of the wall and some of the ceiling where the wardrobe was hasn't been rendered (?) like the rest of the wall. There's about a 10mm difference between the finished walls and bare brick.

I'd love to be able to take on the project myself but not sure where to start - would really appreciate any advice!

Thanks!

PXL_20230408_083513194.jpg

PXL_20230408_083427754.jpg

PXL_20230408_083525019.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to render interior wall

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Gemofalltrades. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about rendering a wall.

Rendering interior walls can be a bit of a challenge, but with the right tools and techniques and a bit of patience, it can be done successfully. 

Here are the general steps to follow:

1. Remove any dirt, dust, or loose debris from the surface you want to render with a stiff bristle brush. This will help the render adhere properly to the wall.
  2. Apply a bonding agent like Bondcrete to the wall to help the render stick. It's important to follow the instruction on the product.
  3. I'd recommend using a pre-mixed render like this Dunlop 16kg Ready To Go Premix Render. Alternatively, you can mix up a powdered variety.
  4. Using a rendering trowel, apply the render to the wall. Start at the bottom and work your way up. Use long, sweeping strokes to apply an even layer of render. It's important to only apply a coating thickness as per instructions on the pack. Given you have a 10mm thickness, you'll likely need to cover it in two coats.
  5. Once you've applied the render, use a straight edge or a trowel to smooth out the surface. This will give the render a smooth, even finish. If your existing render has a very smooth finish, it could be hard plaster. In that case, the render might be a bit coarse, and it can be over-coated with a skim coat of plaster.
  6. Allow the render to dry completely before painting. Using a sealer binder over the porous surface before the paint is best.

Make sure you protect the surrounding area from splatters and drips with a drop sheet, as rendering can be messy. It's also important to wear PPE, such as gloves, a mask and safety glasses, to protect yourself.

Here are a couple of step-by-step guides you'll find useful: How to render and How to apply a top coat to render.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much for such a detailed, stepped out reply! I'll pick up the products suggested and see how I go!

Please keep us updated on your project @Gemofalltrades, and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects