Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove damaged plastic wall anchor that is stuck in the wall?

SiaBoey
Finding My Feet

How to remove damaged plastic wall anchor that is stuck in the wall?

Hi,

Bought some coat hooks and it came with these plastic wall anchors. I tried installing the wall anchor but it wouldn't go all the way into the wall after hammering. And when I tried to remove it, half of it is stuck inside the dry wall. The plastic material is also slightly damaged, bend. I tried pulling it, using pliers, drill, using the hammer claw, it all didn't work. 

Any advise would be appreciated, thanks.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to remove damaged plastic wall anchor that is stuck in the wall?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @SiaBoey! It’s wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing a stuck wall plug.

It sounds like the plug just needs a bit more force to be removed. Try using your pliers to grip it firmly, then place a small block of timber against the pliers. Instead of pulling straight out, lever the pliers over the block. This creates a fulcrum point and multiplies the force applied, making it easier to remove the plug.

If that doesn’t do the trick, you can also use a timber or metal drill bit slightly smaller than the hole to drill through the centre of the plug. This should shred the plastic enough for you to pull it out in pieces.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
R4addZ
Getting Established

Hi @SiaBoey

Don't struggle just drill it out with the same size drill bit you drilled the hole with in the first place.

Thank you, will give that a go. 

Which dry wall anchor would you recommend for coat hanging? 

Thanks.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SiaBoey,

Thank you for your question about what anchor to use for coat hanging.

Is the plan to hang coats between on a coat rack similar to this Adoored 950mm Black 6 Hook Rustic Hat And Coat Rack?

If so, the use of an anchor is possible, but the weight of what is hung on the rack must be considered.

As coats tend to be fairly heavy, I would err on the side of caution and recommend using these Ramset Super Wallmate Toggle Anchors as they are rated to support up to 20kg.

You might like to have a look at How to hang just about anything for some further guidance.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Hi JacobZ,

The solutions proposed didn't work unfortunately. The wall anchor part that sticks out of the wall is too flimsy to hold and slightly damaged. 

Any other ideas on what I should do?

Thanks.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SiaBoey,

I'd suggest following @R4addZ advice and drilling the anchor out using the same bit you used to drill the original hole.

This will deform the anchor enough to allow you to pull out the remnants.

Let me know if you have any trouble with this, I'm happy to assist further if required.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects