Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove coloured marker from lino floor?

Ashley2
Getting Established

How to remove coloured marker from lino floor?

Please help! My child scribbled with blue coloured marker on my lounge room floor. I’ve tried so many different things. Nail polish remover,rubbing alcohol, bleach,clr,Turpintine,carpet stain remover and my usual combination of toothe paste and dishwashing liquid that gets permanent marker off. Nothing is working not even making a dent. There’s 2 other spots aswell texter went through the paper it’s bright orange and another small spot it’s brown texter. I really need to get it out as I’m renting. Oh and I forgot to add it’s linoleum flooring! 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Coloured Marker

Morning @Ashley2 

Ouch! 😕 Any chance of a photo to help us come up with some ideas? A close up one and one from further back showing the general area would be handy. The best thing I have heard of to remove marks such as yours is Mr Clean Eraser Pad Block 

Here is a video of what it can do :smile:

How to use a magic eraser 

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Ashley2,

As @Dave-1 mentioned some images would really help paint the picture for our members. 

You've already tried a lot of common solutions. A Magic Eraser can sometimes work on stubborn stains; just be careful not to scrub too hard, as it can also wear down the flooring. You could also try a baking soda paste. Mix baking soda with a small amount of water to form a paste, apply it to the stain, let it sit for a few minutes, and then gently scrub with a soft cloth or sponge.

Another option is WD-40. Spray a small amount on the stain, let it sit for a few minutes, wipe it with a clean cloth, and then wash the area with soap and water to remove any residue. Hydrogen peroxide can be effective as well; apply a small amount to the stain, let it sit for a few minutes, and then wipe it away. Be sure to test it in an inconspicuous area first to ensure it doesn't discolour the flooring. 

Unfortunately, if the marker has penetrated the surface and stained the linoleum, it might be next to impossible to remove completely. In this case, you might need to consider replacing that section of the flooring or finding a way to cover it up. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Ashley2
Getting Established

38B899FA-EAB2-464B-96DB-878CA14EFBA0.jpeg

E24F2E7E-6075-47BA-9E2B-A961B2DFEB0A.jpeg

   

Hi Dave here are some photos :smile: 

DD4CF7BD-AFCB-4946-A58F-758A149FCB62.jpeg

Hi Mitchell I will definitely try those options. I’ve tried vinegar with baking soda, I tried hair spray and I just tried cloudy amonia and a different nail polish remover. I replied to Dave with some photos. If you’d like to take a look please do. I’m renting and beyond stressed that I’m not going to get it out. 

DIYGnome
Making a Splash

Re: How to remove coloured marker from lino floor?

Hello @Ashley2 🖐

Linoleum has a tendency to absorb so this is going to be a little challenging, I have in the past used petrol (nuclear option) to clean surfaces you wouldn't normally do so with good effect but... in this case I would try a cocktail of Bar Keepers Friend & any spray surface cleaner as I have used this combo successfully at work to remove anything from coffee rings to spilt ink from vinyl topped bench surfaces with excellent results 👍

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bar-keepers-friend-595g-cleanser-polish-powder_p0445984

Ashley2
Getting Established

Thank you so much! I’m at the point of frustration because I’ve tried so many things. Being a renter something like this is just a disaster! Kids will be kids what can you do right? I think I’ve seen bar keepers secret somewhere I’ll definitely give that a go! 

@Ashley2 Best results when mixing with a multi-purpose surface spray cleaner (like Pine-o-Cleen) to create a paste like substance you can work into the stain with your finger and let is sit & soak a while, you may need to repeat the process for greater effect 👍 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Ashley2 

Thank you for the pics :smile: It makes it easier to get my head around. I really cant add to the options the others have made (filing away the WD40 and petrol for future use myself) Crossing fingers one of them works. Only recomendation is a through wash and clean of the area after each attempt before the next one.

If you manage to remove the "artwork" would loveto know which way succeded :smile:

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I have my fingers crossed for you @Ashley2. Unfortunately, especially with the blue ink, I think we are looking at a stain soaked into the lino. I do hope you have success, though.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects