Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to remove an built-in shelf?

johnpyt
Finding My Feet

How to remove an built-in shelf?

I'm a complete beginner, but keen to tackle DIY around the house.

We have these existing inbuilt shelves, and I'm wondering on the best way to remove.

The rails can be unscrewed.

Should I just smack it with a mallet from the bottom?

If we can preserve the wall/some paint, that would be ideal, but it's not a big deal.

We plan to replace the existing with a new shelving unit.

Any advice is appreciated!!

I have uploaded some images of the shelving. 

20240925_115314.jpg

20240925_115311.jpg

20240925_115307.jpg

20240925_115302.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: advice on inbuilt shelf removal

Hello @johnpyt 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about removing your inbuilt shelf.

I'm a great believer in recycling especially when it comes to timber. You may at some point be able to use these shelves either in your garage, laundry or even inside a cabinet. I propose using your fingers to feel where the screws are located on the shelf panels. If that does not work, I suggest using a rare earth manet to try and locate their position. Once you find the screws, you can then remove the shelves without destroying them and the wall will not be damaged a great deal.

Another technique you can try is to place a 70x35 piece on the edge of the shelf and hitting that with a hammer instead of the shelf itself. This is to prevent damaging the surface of the melamine panel. Once the screws pull out it will give you a better idea of where the rest of the screws are located on the panel.  

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: advice on inbuilt shelf removal

Good Morning @johnpyt 

I can remember taking my old shelving out tho it wasnt as nice as yours :smile:

If you look closely you can see little circles on the supporting rail for the shelf, once you remove the hanging rail then pop these circles out (I use a stanley knife and insert the blade on the edge of the circle and a "twist" and it pops out, beware the blade can snap so wear safty googles.

Another way is to use a smaller flat blad screwdrive and place it centered over the circlle andtap the screwdriver hea dwith a hammer, it should pierce the disc cover. Then unscrew.

I have marked the expected locations to find screws in blue circles,  but make sure you check to see if there are screws top down into that rail (marked with yellow arrows) rmove those first.\

01 27-09-2024.jpg

Discs circled in blue to show where the screwheads that are underneath are.

02 27-09-2024.jpg

Note yellow arrows pointing at potential locations of where screws going down into the rail are.

Sequence of removal-

- remove silver hanging rail first.

- remove top down screws (yellow arrows)

- remove rail screws (circled in blue)

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to remove an built-in shelf?

Hi @johnpyt 

@Dave-1 is spot on withe this screw locations. Use a blade to pick those white caps off which will e pose countersunk Phillips head screws. 

If the boards don’t come straight off it’s possible the they may also be glued in some spots and or brad nailed. So use a sharp blade and run it along all edges to seperate the boards from any painted areas before attempting to pry them off. Otherwise the top layer of the plasterboard could peel off with them. 

Be careful when prying the boards off to not sink the levering tool in to the plasterboard. Use something solid and flat against the wall like a chopping board

Nailbag

johnpyt
Finding My Feet

Re: How to remove an built-in shelf?

Wow thanks so much @EricL @Dave-1 @Nailbag 

We really appreciate the advice.

Unfortunately what's there just doesn't suit our needs, but I will try my best to preserve the wood and save for a future project!

I will see how I go and come back with results

Thanks again

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects