Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prevent Acacia bench flipping when sitting on the edge?

Rashmi375
Finding My Feet

How to prevent Acacia bench flipping when sitting on the edge?

IMG_9197.jpeg

 hello Team, 

I created this bench as a Dyi with acacia panel and coffee table furniture leg, both of which were from Bunnings itself. However now I notice that if I sit of the edge of the bench, it flips. I think it’s common but I want to avoid any accidents. I can’t bolt it to the floor but I’m looking for solutions to prevent the bench from flipping. 

my thought was to move the legs a bit nearer to the edges but I’m scared that will bend my wood in the middle. I wouldn’t want to add an extra leg in between, so maybe a beam below the bench and bolt that up to prevent the bending of wood ? 

any suggestions are welcome to prevent flipping this bench over. Thanks in advance! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prevent Acacia bench flipping when sitting on the edge?

Hello @Rashmi375 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your Acacia bench. 

I agree with your second idea and that is to move the legs a little farther out by 200mm and putting some supporting timber strips at the bottom. I propose using two 90x45 pieces with a gap of 200mm under the bench. I recommend using adhesive such as Selleys 350g Liquid Nails Heavy Duty in combination with screws to keep the timber pieces in place. This should prevent the bench from tipping over even if you sit at the very end.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @Rashmi375 

I have a bench seat that I made the legs for and it would be easy to flip if I sat on the edge as well 😕

Yours and probarly mine migh be solved with two heavier pieces of timber either side at the foot of the stand. Think two kickrails of hardwood weight. That way the seat isnt topheavy anymore, kind of like ballast for a seat :smile:

I need to go through and tighten the bolts on my seats and table so might add an extra piece to it to see :smile:

Dave

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Evening @Rashmi375 

"any suggestions are welcome"

For me - more steel. Welding plate to create a 'foot' at either end.

Spray paint jet black.

I have seen these legs at Bunnings - they have a substantial thick steel top plate.

But you need to weld or know someone who does.

Just a late sun-setting thought.

Cheers!

20240910_160043.jpg

Thanks for your advice. I think I’ll go with this solution. That way extra timber won’t be seen as it’s right below the bench. Thank you so much. 

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Rashmi375 

This is an easy resolve. You will have no issue at all of the coffee table top bowing in the middle unless there is a heavy weighted object permanently in place by simply relocating the legs outwards as per below. 

Regards Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-09-10 at 9.35.30 PM.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects