Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to patch plaster next to vent?

zachary1909
Just Starting Out

How to patch plaster next to vent?

Hoping someone could provide some advice on the best way to patch these small breaks in the plaster at the edge of this vemr for my swampie.

Cheers

20240825_100933.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to patch plaster next to vent?

HI @zachary1909,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

You should start by removing the vent, so you have access in behind the plasterboard. You'll need to have some kind of backing that you can apply a plaster compound to. This Siniat 10 x 2400mm PVC Casing Bead Plaster Trim would likely be a good solution that can be slipped over the existing plasterboard with the long side of the trim in the ceiling cavity. This would also help to protect the edge of the board from further breakage in the future.

Once there is some backing, you can apply some Gyprock Multi-Purpose Joint Compound to the holes with a 100mm Joint Knife. Fully fill the holes and smooth them as best as you can while the compound is still wet. Allow the plaster to dry and then sand with a 120 Grit Angled Sanding Sponge to get a perfectly smooth surface.

Once sanded, paint the patches to match the ceiling around it.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Hi JacobZ

Thanks for your response. I just have a few questions.

The Casing Bead Plaster Trim is obviously too long, im assuming that cutting it won't be an issue?

I also already have some Spakfilla from patching small holes, would this be suitable to use or would i need to get the joint compound?

Thanks for your help.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @zachary1909 

It's perfectly ok to cut the casing bead plaster, just remember to sand the finished ends so that it will look neat. If your Spakfilla is still nice and soft, it should be ok to use it to fill the holes in the plaster.    

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How To Repair A Hole In A Plaster Wall

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects