Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to patch and render a plumbing hole?

hmt23
Finding My Feet

How to patch and render a plumbing hole?

1000080131.jpg

 Punched a hole into the pipe running down for the garden tap outside. It's fixed however I want to render and repaint. 

The max hole depth is about 55 mm. Would I need some small reinforcement mesh /structure to hold the rapid set mortar repair (Either Lanco 136 or Dunlop Premix)? 

Please suggest the best way to DIY.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Patch and Render a plumbing hole

Hi @hmt23,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

I'd suggest using Sika MonoTop-352NFG Structural Repair Mortar as it can be applied up to 75mm thick without any additional reinforcement.

I'd suggest starting by cleaning the concrete around the pipe with a wire brush to remove any loose material and clean the surface.

The pipe should also be wrapped with foam such as ableflex to allow for expansion and contraction of the repair mortar around the pipe. This will help prevent the pipe cracking in the future and is always good practice when possible.

You can then use the Sika MonoTop®-352 NFG product datasheet for mixing and application instructions.

Let me know if you have any further questions or need some clarification.

Jacob

Re: Patch and Render a plumbing hole

Thank you mate. Appreciate timely response.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects