Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to paint metal mirror frame?

taytay
Just Starting Out

How to paint metal mirror frame?

I’m wanting to change the colour of my metal mirror frame from black to gold. 

The mirror is near new with no rust or dents on the frame.

What paint would i use for this? aswell as what preparation would i need to do?  i am wanting to avoid spray painting as the mirror is to heavy to move, preferably use a brush and just paint the frame by hand. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to paint metal mirror frame?

Hello @taytay 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about painting your metal mirror frame.

I suggest wiping the surface of the metal frame using Selleys Sugar Soap Wall Cleaning Wipes - 25 Pack. To prevent accidental overpainting on the mirror, I recommend covering the mirror edge with ScotchBlue 24mm x 55m Sharp Lines Multi-Surface Painter’s Masking Tape - 24mm. Once the surface of the steel frame is dry, I suggest painting the surface with Dulux 1L PRECISION White Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer for the topcoat I propose Porter's Paints 100ml Metallic Antique Gold Furniture Paint.

My best advice is to purchase the best brush your budget can afford and make sure to give each coat enough time to cure before painting over it. Once the paint is totally dry you can then remove the masking tape from the mirror.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects