Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount a tv to plastered brick wall?

arohaa
Just Starting Out

How to mount a tv to plastered brick wall?

I’m trying to mount a tv to an internal single brick wall in a house that is about 80 years old. The brick is plastered over so I cannot see where the mortar is. I’ve been told not to use the screws that came with the tv mount so I’m wondering how best to attach it to the wall. A friend suggested AnkaScrews, would this be the way to go? The tv weighs about 10-15kg and the mount is capable of holding up to 30kg (full motion mount). Cheers!

R4addZ
Getting Established

Re: How to mount a tv to plastered brick wall?

Hi @arohaa

I personally would use something like these.....

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ramset-10-x-100mm-galvanised-ultra-long-hex-head-ramplug-25-pack_p245004...

Two reasons, the fix is deep into the brick and there is a long expansion component. Since you may hit the mortar joint without knowing it the large expansion area helps. There are also similar fixings with a screw head but these will give more area to hold the bracket back and even better if you buy some washers.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @arohaa 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your questions about mounting your TV to a plastered brick wall.

Generally, for a secure mount I would suggest using the Ramset 300ml Chemset UltraFix Plus along with its accompanying parts. This is because you might have hollow bricks inside that wall and the Ultrafix is designed to work with hollow bricks. Can you please tell me what is the model and brand of your TV mount? This will give us a better idea of what you are using and how it can be mounted onto the brick wall.

If you r house is over 80 years old, I would suggest having your plasterboard tested for asbestos first before you drill into them. If the test comes back positive, I suggest thinking about building an independent TV mount just like in this discussion - Free-standing entertainment unit with TV mount by @mattham. It's an excellent example of building a TV mount that will not require you to drill into your brick wall. Plus, it gives you easy access to the back of the TV and you have the option of moving the TV mount around your house.

However, if the test comes back negative, I suggest cutting a hole in the plasterboard so that you can install the TV mount directly to the surface of the brick. Once you've provided us with more information about your TV mount and plaster wall, we'll be able to give you recommendations on what steps to take.     

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @arohaa 

First up Id like to offer a warm howdy :smile: and welcome to the community. There are a fair few questions along these lines in here right down to freestanding entertainment units that @EricL has mentioned.

I didnt think of testing for asbestos with the age of your walls but its a wise idea. The thing that caught my eye with your post was trying to mount a tv on a plaster line dbrick wall. I had the same issue tho my plaster was just plaster thankfully. I had brick lined with plaster and the same wall had cavity lined with plaster.

01 22-07-2018.jpg

I had figured out that there was a cavity wall and a brick wall imediatly behind the plaster sheet. I also figured that the amount of compression I could put on an concrete/brick anchor screw wouldnt compress the plaster by any amount :smile:

02 22-07-2018.jpg

I used these guys in the hollow space area

03 22-07-2018.jpg

Trying to maximise the anchor screws over the hollow space screws. In the end I had 4 anchor screws and 2 hollow wall anchor screws

04 22-07-2018.jpg

It looks small but hols a 50+ kg old style touch LCD :surprised: yeah you read that right lol its ex ewaste its that old.

05 22-07-2018.jpg

I mounted it low so I could have  adesk in front if I wished. I did the job in 2018 and its still solid as a rock.

Id make sure you follow @EricL's suggestions but anchor screws are great. You can always back them out of you want to move it at a later date. (Tube spanner for the head of the bolt is a definite need due to the way the wall mount is folded.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects