Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make timber drawers smooth to open?

ruby2020
Finding My Feet

How to make timber drawers smooth to open?

their two timber drawers in my timber study desk. But they are not smooth each when i draw out and push back. i am thinking to put something underneath the drawers in order to smooth them. i am wondering what product could do the job.

Regards,

Ruby

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to make timber drawers smooth to open?

Hi @ruby2020,

Could you please let our helpful members know a little bit more about your drawers and if they have runners, or are they just timber on timber? With that info, they would then be much better placed to offer useful suggestions. A picture of the runners would be helpful. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

If they are timber on timber runners, then rubbing a candle along the contact points and leaving a wax deposit reduces friction and is the traditional method of lubricating timber drawer runners. If they are drawer slides, the bearings or rollers might have worn out and need replacement.

If this is just a large drawer and you feel placing something under it could reduce friction, I'd recommend having a melamine-backed MDF sheet cut to size and inserting it. The melamine surface is quite slick, and the drawer should slide quite well on it.

I look forward to assisting further. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Mitchell, the drawer is timber on timber. Your information is very helpful. I will do as suggested.

Cheers

Ruby

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @ruby2020, and reach out again if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects