Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install doors?

Orlando
Cultivating a Following

How to install doors?

Hi guys, I'm looking for a little advice.

1) I want to install a door frame separating the living area from the bedroom area of my house. There's a perfect spot to place the door, but the space goes from floor to ceiling (first 2 photos). I want to install a lintel above the frame to match the height of all the other doors. Firstly, what can I use for a lintel - timber, steel, aluminium? It won't be load-bearing, and I'll fill the space between the lintel and ceiling with a gyprocked timber box.

Corridor 1.jpg

Corridor 2.jpg

2) I want to install a pair of sliding timber doors to close off our TV room. Same issue as the other door, except of course the lintel would be longer, and would have to support the weight of the sliding doors.

Sliding Doors 1.jpg

Sliding doors 2.jpg

Are timber lintels permissible? If so, does it matter what type? I recently picked up some lengths of laminated timber 'joists'? from a skip which would fit perfectly. However, with the sliding door set-up, I'd need to be sure the lintel wouldn't sag in the middle supporting the sliding doors - perhaps a more rigid type of lintel would be better. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks, Orlando

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Installing doors

Hello @Orlando 

Thanks for sharing your question about door installation. In regards to the cover at the top of your door, it will be necessary to build a small timber frame for strength and rigidity. Using timber will be perfectly fine. For your first door, I propose building an ordinary timber frame to take up the space at the top and using timber fillers at the side to cover the gap. If it is just an ordinary swinging door there should no need for a reinforced lintel at the top. But if it is sliding door then the bottom part of the frame must be reinforced so that it can carry the weight of the door.

As for the double sliding door, again it will be necessary to build a timber frame fully supported with the bottom part reinforced to carry the weight of the sliding doors. It is better to have the timber lintels supported by a frame as they are not strong enough to carry the weight of the doors by itself.

Please note that the frames must be anchored well into the stud wall and not just the plasterboard. 

Here are some guides and discussions that will help with your project:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Orlando
Cultivating a Following

Re: Installing doors

Love the response Eric, thanks. For the simple swinging door, it's good to know that I only need to install a frame and dispense with a lintel. I was hoping to be able to pick up a second-hand frame and door from a salvage yard or on social media. The corridor is just a few centimetres wider than the 'standard' door frame; so I will probably have to add some thickness to the door frame, or perhaps construct a small nib on one side.

As for the sliding doors, I was planning on getting a quote to have them installed professionally - so perhaps I can leave the timber framing to the installers. Basically, what you're saying for the sliding doors is that, as long as a frame is built into the square 'arch' (with reinforcement on the upper part), then the sliding door rails could be bolted to the side of the upper horizontal part of the frame.

I look forward to checking out your links! Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects