Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix inline exhaust fan making noise?

ptg
Just Starting Out

How to fix inline exhaust fan making noise?

Hi community; need your help. 
In my apartment, there is inline exhaust fan connected to corrugated flexible duct, has started making noise like loose paper touching the blade (have access via ceiling hatch). I want to open the ceiling hatch and repair/correct it. 

Upon initial inspection I find the fan is fixed to the corrugated duct using a thick plastic duct tape (about 6” wide). By look of it, it’s sealed either by heat or polymer glue. 

what I would like to know from community is, if I cut the duct tape, can it be replaced with new one and sealed? 

Any suggestion on how whether it would be available in bunnings and how can I seal it back?

Thank you for any suggestions, advise. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Inline exhaust fan making noise

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ptg. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about exhaust fans.

I'd suspect that it is just tape holding the duct onto a plastic outlet on the exhaust fan. I can't see any reason why you couldn't use duct tape to re-attach the ducting. However, without knowing exactly how the duct is attached to the unit it's a bit hard to tell. Typically, as in the image below, there's a plastic outlet that the ducting slips over and duct tape is used to secure it in position.

Perhaps if you were to post an image of the connection, our helpful members might be able to make some educated guesses. Let me know if you need a hand uploading photos.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects