Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix cracks in window frame?

robinbrar
Finding My Feet

How to fix cracks in window frame?

Hey, how can I fix the cracks and swollen wooden for windows

IMG_2950.png

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix cracks in window frame?

Hi @robinbrar,

Thank you for your question about how to fix the cracks around your window frame.

It looks like the caulking between the window frame and the architrave is cracking, which would indicate some movement.

Can you feel any movement in the architrave?

If there's any movement, you may need to put a couple of finish nails into the architrave to fix it back in place. If you have access to a finish nailer, I'd advise using 40mm brad nails. If not, you can use Paslode 40 x 2.0mm Bright Steel Bullet Head Nails, using a nail punch to sink the nailhead below the surface of the timber. Once the nail has been punched below the surface, fill the hole with Spakfilla Rapid Gap Filler.

Once the architrave is secured, remove the cracked caulk using a utility knife by running the blade down each side of the caulk to break its adhesion to the timber. Remember to wear gloves and long sleeves to reduce the risk of lacerations.

Once the caulk is removed, replace it with some No More Gaps. You'll need a caulking gun if you don't already have one.

One caulked, sand the Spakfilla and any rough edges with a Trojan 120 Grit Angled Sanding Sponge. Once sanded, paint with a suitably matching internal paint.

You might want to have a look at How To Silicone a Gap for some guidance on this process.

Let me know if you have any further questions, I am more than happy to assist.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects