Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I fix a broken sliding door?

DaveScott
Just Starting Out

How do I fix a broken sliding door?

Hi folks. I’m not sure if I loaded this “virgin” post properly yesterday, I can’t see any evidence of it here!!! 
So let’s start again.

I have an ageing sliding aluminium framed glass door that is falling apart. The leading edge is pulling away, and I’m able to pull it completely off without much effort.

I have no idea how it was built, possibly recycled from Noah’s ark (at least 30y old) and I fear that if I dismantle it I won’t have the know-how to restore it!!! 
$$$ are restricted🥴…

restore or replace…

Thanks Gurus, your advice is pre-appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave.

(note emergency repair at top)!!!

12DA75F5-BFE6-461B-943D-55EBBB5F0147.jpeg

5F987D5B-9D9C-42D6-9C46-66C10703C330.jpeg

B703EE43-A52C-4452-822C-C1F89CB2F1F0.jpeg

D49F5C6A-B1BE-4AB7-9533-3552D617B093.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do I fix a broken slidind door

Hello @DaveScott 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your aluminium sliding door.

Sliding aluminium doors often have their fixings very well hidden or are placed in an area where access is not easily seen. Should you get lucky and find the fixing points, getting the right screws and making sure that they fit now becomes the main issue.

There is also the matter of the rubber seals surrounding the glass of your door. It appears that parts of it have deteriorated and must be replaced. Which then involves disassembly of the entire door, I don't recommend attempting this, especially if you've not done it before. Handling large pieces of glass is dangerous and any mistake can result in the glass shattering and causing injury.      

I propose getting a repair quote from an aluminium/glazing shop that does windows and doors in your area. You can ask them how much it will cost for a home repair for just the door and the replacement of the doors rubber seal. Aluminium is a sturdy material and although it may look tarnished on the outside it is still structurally sound inside. I therefore suggest keeping the door and repairing it rather than replacing it.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects