Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to finish a pine barn door

ishkan
Growing in Experience

How to finish a pine barn door

I made a barn door out of DAR pine planks from Bunnings, and am now looking for tips on how to finish it.

It’s all tongue and groove, slotted together pretty well. I’m planning to sand it down, but unsure of what varnish or staining products people would recommend?

Personally, I don’t want to mess with the colour of it. Would like to find a low gloss finish of some kind, just to protect it and enhance the natural colour a bit. 

I also reckon it’d go better with the laminated timber look floor if it’s not coloured.

IMG_4302.jpeg

IMG_3540.jpeg

Recommendations?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to finish a pine barn door

Hi @ishkan,

Those doors look magnificent, congratulations on such a fantastic job.

My suggestion is to use Cabot's Clear Danish Oil

Danish oil penetrates the wood, highlighting the natural grain patterns of the pine, without masking its natural beauty. 

It provides a smooth, low-sheen, satin finish, which can give the door a slightly glossy look without being overly shiny.

I'd suggest after sanding and cleaning the door to remove any sawdust, applying 2 coats of the Danish oil with a paintbrush or a rag.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

ishkan
Growing in Experience

Thanks @JacobZ!

How does the Danish oil compare to the water based Cabothane Matt? Is one easier to get on than the other?

Also - I’m a newbie when it comes to sanding. Should I be starting with a 40 grit paper and moving up to 80, 120, 180? Or is the 40 overkill?

Appreciate your help, thanks again! 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ishkan,

There is not much difference in the difficulty of applying these products, but they are different in terms of what they do. 

Cabot's Matt Water Based Cabothane Clear Polyurethane Varnish is a varnish, as opposed to an oil. This means it will create a coating on the top of the timber, meaning it will have less of a natural feel, whereas the Danish oil is a penetrating oil, which will seep into the grain of the timber, maintaining a more natural feel. 

If you are looking for a low gloss, penetrating oil will usually be less glossy than a varnish.

I'd say don't bother with 40 grit and start with 80 grit. Work in small sections, or on individual boards to ensure you get everything before moving on to the next section. Once you've given everything a once over with the 80 grit, move up through the grits, 120, followed by 180 then 240.

You can always go much higher in terms of grits for sandpaper, but 240 grit is going to give you a very nice finish that I'm sure you'll be happy with.

You can use How To Restore Wooden Furniture as a bit of a guide on how to sand your workpiece.

Once everything is done, make sure to brush it or vacuum it to remove any sawdust left on the piece before coating.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

ishkan
Growing in Experience

Thanks very much! Will share some pictures when they’re up.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects