Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix broken bed legs?

tamaraml
Finding My Feet

How to fix broken bed legs?

I was assembling my bed and when I put the legs on the wood it became loose and I don't have anywhere to put the screw. I would like to know if it is possible to restore the wood, because there was a type of thread inside (I don't know the name in English, I added photos) and I would need to put it back inside the wood to put the screw in.

IMG20240929133646.jpg

IMG20240929133912.jpg

IMG20240929133916.jpg

IMG20240929133935.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: broken bed legs

Hello @tamaraml 

Thanks for sharing your question about your broken bed leg. It might be possible to re-screw the insert nut back into the bed frame. This is on the condition that there is enough space on the timber frame. I propose cutting the black cover cloth with a Stanley knife so that we can see what is underneath the bed frame. if there is enough space on the timber frame, I propose drilling a new spot for the leg. But if there is no extra space on the frame, you'll need to attach a new timber mounting for the beds leg.

Please have a look and tell is what you see. I would also like to request for a few photos of the bed frame so that our members will have a better idea of its structure. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to fix broken bed legs?

Afternoon @tamaraml 

I am not sure from your photos about the lining up of that screw being in the middle of the black piece of timber?

The threaded inserts (had to look up the name and just realised @EricL already had the link in his post lol ) appear to be screwed in using an alen key, Bunnings even sell differerant inserts (Didnt know this by way handy to know) Taskmaster 6 x 20mm Screw In Insert Nut For Flat Surfaces - 8 Pack  So potentially you could shift teh hole over to a new location on the leg of the bed?

or 

Option 2

Fill the hole with Timbermate 250g Natural Wood Filler  let it cure/dry and then redrill the hole and reinsert the threaded insert in the same location. Ive been following Timbermate for awhile in the land of the big blue F and its surprising what it can do. It can be drilled and sanded and dosnt shrink or crack. (Not affilated lol) 

BTW that long screw seems to be a bit bent, it may be an idea to replace it with a new one.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects