Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to cut D.Line cable management?

AngryBird
Building a Reputation

How to cut D.Line cable management?

I have recently purchased some 'D-Line 20 x 10mm 2m White Adhesive Cable Management Cover' on the instructions I have found online there is a device they use to cut straight (looks like a toast rack). Is this really necessary to cut these lengths so accurately straight? I do not have that piece of equipment. Also I would like to know id I can cut it with a dremel as I have a cordless dremel, I have never used, if I can cut using the dremel could anyone tell me what speed it should be on?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: D.Line cable management cutting advice

Hello @AngryBird 

I've cut similar cable management covers with a hacksaw, and it easily cut right through it. I suggest sanding the rough edge with 240 grit sandpaper to get the smooth edge back. In regards to your Dremel tool, I suggest setting it to medium speed so that it does not heat up the plastic and deform it. You could probably do a test cut at the end to make sure that it does not overheat the plastic.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to cut D.Line cable management?

Afternoon @AngryBird 

Do you have a link to that "tool" as it sounds interesting tho "really" someone has thought of that comes to mind :smile: In all my years as a sparky I have never heard of a tool like that. Ive just used a hacksaw to cut any plastic ducting. Im not sure if I would use a dremal as feel it could heat the plastic in the process and deform it maybe?

Even a hacksaw blade on its own will cut through that plastic quickly :smile: I would just use the sharp blade of a stanley type knife after the cut and run it around teh edge to remove any burs.

Dave

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @AngryBird 

You definitely don't need to complicate things with a Dremal, in fact I think it would be more awkward to cut straight without a guide.

I use a mini fly screen mitre box with a hacksaw to cut this type of stuff and it works a treat. I used it last week to cut the same cable duct for a smart LED lighting strip I was installing and again today on a few lengths of clip-ducting.  I just use a little bit of fine sandpaper on the edges afterwards.

IMG_8841.jpeg

R4addZ
Getting Established

Hi @AngryBird 

For this size ducting, you can get a conduit cutter with an attachment that goes on the lower jaw which gives a flat surface which allows you to cut smaller ducting.

AngryBird
Building a Reputation

Hi Dave, I dont have a link to the tool, but you can see it in photo 2/10 at this link https://www.bunnings.com.au/d-line-30-x-15mm-2m-white-adhesive-cable-management-cover_p4430324 its number 2 in the grid.

I hope this helps.

AngryBird
Building a Reputation

Hi all, thank you for all the replies. I ended up using a hacksaw.

I think I may have buggered up the whole thing, but its no biggy. I dont know if there is a right way to orient this product, I have stuck it along the skirting board with the "hinge" (if you can call it that) facing up, but I had two parts that connected in the corner of the room and the other side I had the hinge part facing down. I hope this wont cause my any problems. It took quite a bit of pressure to get it to lock closed.

Thanks again.

Kind regards

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Evening @AngryBird 

:smile: I actually went looking for the tool and found it in a video. It is a plain old mitre block :smile: Seriously 3 test cuts on the very end of your strip will have you cutting nicely with a hacksaw :smile: Thank for the info tho and the smile :smile:

Dave

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Morning @AngryBird 

Sorry missed this message somehow. 😕

Nah, because it clips in it should be fine either way really. If you really want the "perfect corner" then cutting at 45deg can be done. It just depends on the level you want. Ive generally either notched out the side of a square duct or even have just the lid go up for the corner so it "looks" right. It depends on the situation :smile:

BTW if ever the sticky side comes away I have just used a couple of plaster screws to put it back in and then drill and screw through the duct.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects