Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix unsightly wall damage?

Rani123
Just Starting Out

How to fix unsightly wall damage?

IMG_7088.jpeg

IMG_7089.jpeg

Hi there!

I have just purchased my new home and trying to re position the curtain rod bracket. 
How can I repair the damage left behind after taking off the current curtain bracket? 
Please see photo attached. There is also a screw stuck in one of the holes which is also why I need to re position. 

Also when installing the new bracket, I understand if there’s no stud I can use anchors? Is this correct? 

Thank you! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Unsightly wall damage

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Rani123. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about fixing damaged plasterboard.

I'd start by cleaning up and removing any loose paint or plasterboard around the area. It looks like the fixings are below the surface of the plasterboard, so you'll be right to fill straight over them. I'd recommend using Selleys 180g Spakfilla Rapid Gap Filler - 180g as it's pre-mixed and comes with a little spatula for application. Once the filler has dried, you can sand it back to be flush with the wall, prime and, once dry, paint. Here's a helpful guide: How to patch plaster.

It's always best to screw curtain rail brackets into studs. However, you can use plasterboard anchors if no studs are in the right locations. I'd recommend going with expanding toggles, as they tend to be much more secure than the plastic screw in Wallmates, which will pull out with excessive weight.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to fix unsightly wall damage?

Good Afternoon @Rani123 

Congratulations on your new place :smile: And you are straight into making it comfortable for yourself! :smile:

The snapped screw, is it poking out past the surface of the plaster? If it isnt then you could follow @MitchellMc 's steps no problems.

If it is then you could use a pair of Bull nosed pliers Trojan 200mm Combination Plier (there are also multiple kits at cheaper prices but Trojan is a resonable tool for the price) And after removing the loose plaster pieces put the jaws over the screw so the head is flush to the timber, clamp hard and then wiggle up and down gently. It shouldnt take long for the screw to shear off at the base. You could attempt to pull it out but usually it creates more of a mess and larger timber hole in the stud.

I am not a fan of hanging curtains off plaster as you are rellying on it to support a resonable weight. Id find the studs and use them or even use the architrave around the windows depending on the type of curtain you are installing. I dont know how many times Ive caught myself up in the curtain and managed to yank it when vacumming.

Dave

R4addZ
Getting Established

Re: How to fix unsightly wall damage?

Hi @Rani123 

I just posted this elsewhere in the forum but it applies here too....

Something most people don't realize is that these types of filler for plastered walls are water based. This means that once filled the surface can be leveled with a damp cloth without the need for sanding. fill in two stages as the first fill will shrink back then slightly overfill on the second pass (after the first has dried) and then clean up with a damp cloth till it is as you want it. You should fill with something wider than the hole in order to get a level finish.

And...

Just a note that one big advantage to the damp cloth method in situations like this one is that there is no chance of scratching the surrounding area

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects