Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to clean wooden floorboards without water?

hisumesh
Cultivating a Following

How to clean wooden floorboards without water?

Hi All

Are there alternatives to clean or mop wooden floorboards without using water? I’m unsure about the quality of the floorboards used and hence worried about damaging them by mopping with water. Any alternatives or other suggestions?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: cleaning woodden floor (floorboards) without water

Hi @hisumesh,

Could you show us some images of your flooring? That way, our members would have a better idea of what you're working with. If they are the same floors as pictured in your previous discussion, then those appear to be Hybrid Vinyl planks, which are waterproof, and water does not affect them. It's only the older style laminate floating flooring that requires you to use minimal water and a damp cloth for cleaning.

We really need to verify what type of boards they are to recommend a suitable cleaning product. Most cleaning products are used in combination with water, but if you have concerns, you can wring your mop almost completely dry before going over areas. Regardless of the flooring type, it is best to use the minimum amount of water to get the job done.

Microfibre mops often do a better job than traditional cotton mops and typically require less water to do so, so it might be an idea to invest in one of those. To minimise the amount of wet mops you need to do, regularly sweep dust and debris from your flooring. I'm a fan of the Sabco XL Total Microfibre Mop With Antibacterial Wet Pad, as it can be used dry and has a very convenient rotating head to get under lounges and coffee tables.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hisumesh
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc 

thanks for the response. Attaching the picture of the floorboards. It is not same as the previous one. Let me know if your guidance would be different than what you had provided.

thanks a lot mate for your advice.

IMG_6016.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @hisumesh,

Those still appear to be Hybrid Vinyl floorboards, not laminate. Hybrid Vinyl typically has a texture, whereas I haven't encountered laminate boards with one. Do they have a textured surface?

As mentioned, clean with a damp mop and don't pour water on the floor. However, there shouldn't be any issue with water penetration and these types of boards.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
hisumesh
Cultivating a Following

Hi @MitchellMc 

You are right. The boards do have texture. Thanks for the advice. Will buy the mop mentioned and will be mindful to avoid pouring water.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects