Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose best wood for floating shelves?

DanTime
Just Starting Out

How to choose best wood for floating shelves?

I’m planning to build floating shelves for the first time and want to keep the design simple by using floating shelf brackets with a wooden shelf on top. I’m aiming for a rustic look, so I’m hoping to find wood that has natural imperfections to add some character.

Does anyone have recommendations for the best type of wood to use for this? Also, is it absolutely essential that I attach the brackets to a stud or will using appropriate drywall anchors be alright?

Cheers.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to choose best wood for floating shelves

Hi @DanTime,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

I'd suggest looking at the Flexi Storage Decorative Shelving 1200 x 38 x 240mm Walnut Floating Shelf, as a great option for your shelving project. These decorative shelves come in various sizes and finishes that would surely look fantastic in your home. 

You could also use Pine DAR in a suitable size and whitewash the timber to give it a rustic look. Check out Whitewash dining table and One way of creating white wash on wood for some examples of this technique.

Ideally, your shelf brackets would be screwed into studs with suitably long screws such as these 8G x 50mm Chipboard Screws. This will give your floating shelves much more strength than using plasterboard anchors. I'd suggest using a stud finder to help you locate studs.

It is certainly possible to hang floating shelves using plasterboard anchors such as these Ramset Nylon WallMate Plasterboard Anchors. Still, if you were to hang the shelves using these, you should be careful not to exceed the weight limit of the plasterboard anchors.

Let me know what you think and if you have further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects