Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a portable home altar?

SherineJesna
Just Starting Out

How to build a portable home altar?

SherineJesna_0-1725253395343.png

Like to build an Altar like this. Instead of the floor to ceiling design I would like the dimensions be 1800 x 600 x 400mm . Would like to have designer panel behind the photo and the whole unit to be portable

. Totally new to the DIY space. Any ideas ?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a portable home altar?

Hi @SherineJesna,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

What sort of tools have you currently got? 

I'd suggest at minimum you will need a drill, a circular saw, some driver bits, some drill bits, a spirit level and some clamps to create a portable home altar.

You could build it out of melamine or plywood and connect it together with chipboard screws and angle brackets.

You could use AA grade marine ply for the panel behind the photo, or even use wallpaper to create a beautiful backdrop.

To make it portable, you could add castors to the base of the altar. I'd advise getting castors with brakes so you can lock the altar in place.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have some further advice they can offer @Dave-1, @Nailbag, @DIYGnome.

Let me know what you think.

Jacob

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to build a portable home altar?

Morning @SherineJesna 

:smile: Welcome to the Bunnings Community, I am sur eyou will find loads of ideas amongst thes epages and members to help you out.

Mmmm Thinking, thinking... I have a couple of ideas that may work.

First idea is a modification of a project for a freestanding tv cabinet 

How to build a TV cabinet with wall mount by @EricL  Narrower with a weighted base to stop it wanting to topple easily.

Flexi Storage Wardrobe 400mm White Matte 3 Shelf And 4 Drawer Unit Modified to leave out the top shelving and an extra diagonal piece of timber top to bottom on the back. Wheels could be installed on the base. (There is a large range of sizes Built In Wardrobes )

If you wanted to build as much as you could yourself, you could start out with a base cabinet like this Kaboodle 600mm White Base Cabinet

Then you could add sides and a rear wall to it. It gives a solid base you could screw Move It 75mm 50kg Black Rubber Swivel Plate Castor With Brake

The sides could be a Glossy white faceing from the kitchen range (Cupboards) The doors you would also get from the kitchen range of kaboodle.

Last option and Im staring at one in front of me is to buy a second hand old bookcase. Then remove the top shelves and leave the ones on the bottom. Plus the four lockable wheels.  As you want it movable you will need to have a resonably heavy weight at the base to stop it wanting to fall over. If you are going to have it in place mostly and moved out as needed I would also suggest to have some anchor chains at the top into the stud to stop any potential child pulling themselves up and toppling it over. 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects