Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach metal legs to wooden desk top?

DTAdelaide
Finding My Feet

How to attach metal legs to wooden desk top?

Hi, I bought this second hand desk and need to attach the legs to the wooden top 

Ideally would like to screw the legs so can unscrew them when needed

Not sure how to proceed as I am a total beginner! Attached some photos m

thank you!! 
D

IMG_2849.jpeg

IMG_2852.jpeg

IMG_2851.jpeg

  

IMG_2855.jpeg

IMG_2854.jpeg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach metal legs to wooden desk top?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @DTAdelaide. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about attaching legs to a table top.

Since the leg frames don't have mounting holes, you'll need to drill some. I suggest using a 5mm drill bit and placing at least two holes in the frame's top horizontal bar, one on either side near the outside. You'll then be able to use timber screws through the holes into the bottom of the top. You might like to pre-drill the timber as well to allow easy insertion of the screws.

I've linked a 50mm screw there to show the style, but it's important for you to select a screw length that is less than the combined thickness of the frame and top. It only needs to be a few millimetres shorter so it doesn't penetrate the top surface.

If this seems a bit overwhelming, a slightly easy way might be to use pipe saddles. I'd recommend taking the frame with you and asking a helpful team member in the Plumbing department to find one that would suit the thickness of the top horizontal piece. That way, you don't have to drill through the steel.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Mitchell, 

I saw this online  and wondered if I should use this underframe instead of the legs I have got? What do you think? Do I still need to drill into the wooden top? 
sorry I am just a beginner and worry I am gonna drill through the top!!

the wooden top is 150x75x75 so the under frame should be ok?

thanks

IMG_2858.jpeg

dinah 

It's not a great quality image, but those legs also don't appear to have pre-drilled holes in their frame to attach the top @DTAdelaide. Regardless, you're still going to need to screw into the tabletop. I understand it's nerve-racking, but add some masking tape to your drill bit as a guide on the maximum depth you can go before coming close to penetrating the top surface. Only drill as deep as the tape, and you should be fine.

Another option is to consider standard table legs like the Adoored 60 x 710mm White Round Adjustable Table Leg as they have mounting holes in them. It would still be best to pre-drill the tabletop, but you could get away with just fixing the screws directly into it.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Brilliant! Thank you.

ill check those legs at my local bunnings

seems much simpler!

thanks!

D

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects