Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach VJ board to brick wall?

Marshall
Cultivating a Following

How to attach VJ board to brick wall?

Hi there, 

I'm currently doing some basic home renovations to a couple of adjoining bedrooms. The interior wall between the two rooms is an exposed brick wall on both sides (rest of the room is plasterboard). I would like to cover with the exposed brick in both rooms with easycraft VJ wall panels. I was just curious about the best way to fix these panels to a brick wall ? I had noted the Bunnings DIY guide for fixing these panels to traditional walling - this involves adhesive but also nailing into the studs. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pZ0ehCBKFE&ab_channel=BunningsWarehouse 

With a brick wall is it possible to affix directly with just adhesive like is shown in the above guide or will it require additional - or maybe even drywall adhesive with the dab and dot method similar to plasterboard ? 

Appreciate your feedback.  

Re: How to attach VJ board to brick wall?

Hi. I am interested in doing the same. What did you use to build the temporary brace? This is my main issue. Ta

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @katdav.

Let me tag @Marshall so they are alerted to your question.

One of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will also be happy to assist as soon as possible.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Marshall
Cultivating a Following

Hey @katdav

When I did this for the temporary brace I simply used some spare pine wood I had laying around connected to an L brackets. I just found this was helpful for applying even pressure to the boards while the construction adhesive set. (Pic below)

For adhering to the wall I used construction adhesive liquid nails. I used a combination of both heavy duty and also landscape liquid nails. Likely not necessary to use both but the landscape has a thicker almost spungey consistency that I found was helpful to get a good bond and accommodate inconsistencies in the wall. Then also attached a few temporary screws into the massonary to keep it firmly fixed while it set and puttied over these at the end.

Worked great this was over two years ago and it looks great and hasn't had any issues or problems since they went up. 

20210806_011432.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Marshall 

Thank you very much for posting that picture regarding the wall brace that you used. Let me tag @katdav to make sure they are aware of your recommendations. It is quite clever and very practical, the best part I think is that the brace can be taken apart then recycled after it's been used. 

Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience regarding the EasyVJ panels.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @katdav 

If you've seen Marshall's recommendations, I believe this is the beast course of action to hold the panels in place. If you want extra support at the top of the panel, I suggest using STAHL Masonry Kit 7mm Drill With 50mm Green Wall Plugs. It's a complete kit that comes with screws and masonry drill bit.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks heaps! Perfect. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects