Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to affix long melamine boards for wardrobe shelves?

danitog
Just Starting Out

How to affix long melamine boards for wardrobe shelves?

Hi  we’re wanting to DIY some custom (adjustable) shelves for the kids existing wardrobes.

We’ve figured out the plan, how we want it to look and the material we want to use but what we’re struggling to figure out is the best way attach/affix the melamine board that will be “freestanding” in the middle of the wardrobe.

The clothes rail that is currently there will be cut down and shortened.

One melamine board will be against the wall - plan to cut the existing skirting so it fits flush again wall and then use some liquid nails and chipboard screws to attach to wall.

The shelves are no problem.

The floor is being replaced to be the same boards as the rest of the house. 

But how to fix the other side of the shelves?

We’re currently thinking L brackets (4 at top attached to existing shelf & 2 bottom attached to skirting & wall).

Unsure if this is the best way

Thanks!!

IMG_0848.jpeg

IMG_0849.jpeg

IMG_0880.png

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to affix long melamine boards for wardrobe shelves?

Hi @danitog,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Your plans look well thought out and the method of installation you've described is more or less what I would recommend.

I'd suggest cutting the CUSTOMpine 16 x 2400 x 595mm E1L System 32 HD Shelving White Carcass Matt Particleboard Standard so it is a tight fit, ensuring you cut them so the holes will line up when installed. I have found it is best to mark sheet products in place so you can visualise their orientation. If you can't mark them in place, ensure you orient them how they will be while installed before marking and cutting them.

You can then use Zenith 50mm Zinc Plated Angle Brackets to attach the freestanding melamine sheet to the floor and the shelf above. You can use 15mm Button Head Stitching Screws so they do not poke out the opposite side of the melamine. To give the most strength possible, I'd suggest using at minimum 3 angled brackets into the ground and 3 into the shelf above. It looks like you have timber floors, so screwing the brackets into the floors will give a better hold than going into the wall behind.

Using Liquid Nails and screws to attach the melamine sheet against the wall on the right is fine, but you will require longer chipboard screws such as these Zenith 8G x 40mm Countersunk Rib Head Chipboard Screws. Ideally, they will go through the plasterboard into a stud. You can use a stud finder to locate a stud behind the plasterboard.

You can then use your choice of shelf support to hold up your shelves.

Let me know what you think and if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects