Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I install wall sheeting with no gaps?

zDoctor
Just Starting Out

How do I install wall sheeting with no gaps?

Hey All,

My home has wall sheeting (and roof sheeting) that doesn't span across the entire surface; rather they're shorter pieces that have some sort of cover over them at intervals. 

I was wondering how I can connect the wall pieces so they're all one surface?

I have ideas about how I can do it, and whilst it doesn't have to be perfect, i'd appreciate any help/info I can get!

See some pictures attached below!

Cheers!

Nic

IMG_4956.jpgIMG_4957.jpgIMG_4958.jpgIMG_4959.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I connect the wall sheeting so it's one long wall instead of broken up?

Hi @zDoctor,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

The first thing I'd suggest is having the sheet materials tested to ensure they don't contain asbestos.

There's a risk of asbestos exposure from homes built or renovated before 1990. Before starting any work, determine if asbestos is present by having your home assessed and taking necessary precautions to protect yourself and others. Access resources from the Asbestos Safety and Eradication Agency for guidance on safe practices. Prioritise safety by educating yourself and seeking professional assistance when needed.

If you can confirm it is not asbestos and you could identify the specific product, I'd suggest doing some research as to whether it was installed this way for a reason. Generally, when sheet products are installed like this, there is usually a reason for it. Oftentimes this is to allow for slight expansion and contraction of the sheets.

Once you've confirmed that it is possible to close up these gaps, you may be able to use a 3-coat jointing system similar to that used to join plasterboard sheets. You can see an example of this here, Installing Gyprock plasterboard - How to tape and set joints.

If you are not able to simply tape and join the existing sheet products, you might like to consider replacing them with plasterboard so you can.

Allow me to tag some of our helpful members to see if they have any advice or experience with similar projects, @Nailbag, @Dave-1, @Jewelleryrescue.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Re: How do I connect the wall sheeting so it's one long wall instead of broken up?

Hi @zDoctor 

Those cover straps are typical of the era your home was built. The two options @JacobZ has provided are the same I would be suggesting and both require confirmation of wall material type.

The easier less intrusive option would be to remove the cover straps or have them removed if deemed that Asbestos is present and have the openings sealed. Then fill the gaps, tape and skim coat as it would be done with plasterboard. The example is in Jacob's link.  There is a practice skill set however in achieving a reasonably un-noticeable finish, but it will be, especially on the ceiling. If this was the way you would want to go, I would recommend a plasterer doing the work.

The best finished result would be as Jacob mentioned to remove all the walls and ceiling panels. This will be very expensive as it needs to be done by a registered professional Asbestos removal company. You will also need an electrician to remove and make safe all electrical fittings prior. They would also do a roughing for all the new updated lighting positions. As The ceiling comes down, so will all the insulation (if any) which will most likely be the loose blown in type, which will also need to be replaced with a more current product. Unless you're not up to the task, then a plasterer would reline walls and ceilings and then the sparky would be called back.  Walls will then need to be primed, and painted. It's quite a big undertaking and might be work getting the services of a registered local builder who can manage all aspects and tackle it room by room as finances allow.

Regards, Nailbag

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Good Evening @zDoctor 

That looks like firbro sheets and will probarly contain asbestos. Both @JacobZ and @Nailbag  have given you the same steps I would be doing before even thinking of starting. Its safe as long as its undisturbed so no need to stress out. Only if you are changing it or breaking it up. I can see what looks like fibers hanging out of the join lines,, It could be horse hair plaster. I am unsure if asbestos was used in that. I Dont know if that type of plaster is the same thickness as what we use commonly today. Test and then if not you will have peace of mind.

If it is asbestos I would get an approved contracter in that deals with removing it correctly. Too many times ive heard of fly by nighters dumping stuff on the side of the road only to find out its asbestos later.

I would also consider removing and replacing the fibro at some point. Its a problem that will be waiting 😕 I would recommend against a handyperson doing this job.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects