Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Girls bedroom makeover

RainbowDiY
Having an Impact

Girls bedroom makeover

My daughter needed more storage for clothes as she had a tiny wardrobe. She also still had most of the things that she had since birth and it was not functional for a little girl of 7. She loves craft and Lego and books so we needed more space for all those things and she needed a new bed.

IMG_5562.jpeg

IMG_5641.jpeg

i added two IKEA wardrobes, a desk, a bookcase, a new handmade bed, revamped the old Kallax unit for toys, wallpaper and some fun lighting.

IMG_5640.jpeg

I made a 1.2 M wide desk and white washed the beech top to give it a luxurious feel.

IMG_5646.jpeg

the Toybox is 1 m wide by 600 high and I used plywood and a beech panel top. It holds all the big bulky toys. I finished it in gloss enamel white.

IMG_5545.jpeg

the bookcase is 1.3 m tall x 80” wide. I used a shelf pin jig to put the holes in for the shelves and all the shelves are made from beech panels. I also used white hard wax oil on these to finish them. The little box under the book case is a cubby to house the vast array of soft toys my daughter has!

IMG_5649.jpeg

I am in love with this beautiful wall paper from Milton King. It’s so soft and feminine and I think it will age well in the room. I made it a bit fun by lining the bookcase and wall with twinkly candy lights.

i made the bed using dressed pine and Tasmanian oak. It’s a camp bed design I modified from Anna Whites website. The Tasmanian oak has been oiled and pine finished in enamel gloss white.

IMG_6835.jpeg

IMG_6870.jpeg

i fancied up the Kallax unit with some new brass legs and pink boxes. 

she loves it and loves playing in there!

Materials

Spec-rite beech panel 1.2x 600 x 3

Spec-rite beech panel 1.8x 300 x 3

1.2 x 900x 18 plywood

2.4x280 pine DAR X 2

4 Brass hairpin legs

70x70 pine DAR LEGS OF BED

180 x 2.4 Tasmanian Oak DAR

Tasmanian oak Bull nose edging

Tasmanian Oak Tongue and Greove Paneling for bed head

bed hanger set

42x19 DAR FOR SLATS

Tools

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Little Girls Bedroom Makeover

Hi @RainbowDiY,

Wow, what an incredible job you've done with your daughter's room! 

Transforming it with a new bed, desk, bookcases, coloured lighting, and new wallpaper is no small feat. 

I particularly like the tassie oak panelling on her custom bed. 

Your hard work and creativity have made her space a magical place where she can play, learn, and dream. She must be absolutely thrilled with her new room. 

Congratulations on completing such a fantastic D.I.Y. project.

Jacob

Re: Little Girls Bedroom Makeover

Thank you Jacob

It was hard work but so worth it!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects