Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dining table upcycle

TheSparrowHome
Having an Impact

Dining table upcycle

A rough $40 marketplace find turned into a beautiful piece of furniture! I purchased this dining table because the leg design was perfect, but the top was rough & needed a new lease on life - so I upcycled it! 

Materials

Porta Timber 40mm x 8mm  Square Edge in Tas Oak

Porta Timber 30mm x 8mm  Square Edge in Tas Oak

Selleys - Durabond Aquadhere

Selleys - No more gaps (Timber Floors) in Hardwood

Cabots - Cabothane Clear - Non Drip in Satin

Porters Paints - Revive Furniture Paint in Irish Linen

Sandpaper - 80 Grit, 120 Grit & 240 Grit

Tools

Mitre Saw

Belt Sander (optional)

Orbital Sander

Measuring Tape

Plastic Scraper

Paint Brushes

Paint Tray

Cloth

Steps

Step 1

Add external trim & frame

IMG_3634.jpeg

Adding a frame is important to cap off the edges of the wood. Adding it before assembling the table top ensures flush finish. As you can see we have used a template piece to ensure the correct height (8mm).

Use a nail gun or small nails to secure the trim to the surround of the table. 

IMG_3699.jpeg

I wanted the picture frame look but you could just do the outer trim. If you like the picture frame, add the 45 deg mitred pieces the length & width of the table. Secure with wood glue. 

Step 2

Measure and cut pieces.. 

IMG_4174.jpeg

I decided on 120mm pieces because I liked the tight look and pattern.

TIP: with Herringbone the rule is multiples of the width (used 40mm pieces so measurements should be 80mm, 120mm, 160mm etc) 

TIP: to work out how many pieces you need - work out the square cms of the table top (length x width, then divide amount by the square cm of each piece)

Yes, it’s a lot of pieces!

Step 3

Lay out all pieces in a patternIMG_3662.jpeg

There are templates online if you’re unsure. Filler prices of 80mm x 40mm and 40mm x 40mm were needed for this pattern. 

Step 4

Glue all the pieces down

IMG_4175.jpeg

TIP: add glue, press down piece, lift piece up and then press down again. 

NOTE: the glue will foam & expand, that is normal which is why you only need a few drops. 

Step 5

Weigh down and let sit overnight. 

IMG_3665.jpeg

We had a heavy door on hand (lucky) but you just need to add a few heavy things on the pieces to make sure they don’t pop up. This is probably not essential but I wasn’t taking any chances. 

Step 6

Fill gaps with ‘No more gaps’

IMG_4176.jpeg

Scrape clean and wipe with wet cloth.

IMG_4177.jpeg

Step 7

Sand entire table

IMG_4163.jpeg

I used a belt sander with 80 grit to table the top layer off, it was quick but not precise. 

Step 8

Refill no more gaps if needed and light sand

IMG_4167.jpeg

If there are any pin holes or gaps you missed it’s time to fill them, then sand with the orbital sander. Used 120 Grit then finished with 240 Grit. 

Step 9

Paint legs

IMG_4154.jpeg

TIP: light sand to remove shine, prep with any undercoat/primer then paint. 

Step 10

Coat with Cabots

IMG_4178.jpeg

TIP: light sand (240 Grit) between coats. 

And you’re done! 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Dining table upcycle

Hello @TheSparrowHome 

Thank you very much for sharing the steps and list of materials you used for your upcycled dining table. 

What a beautiful transformation! The parquetry pattern you've put in is so nice and gives the table such a classic look. Using the timber moulding over the old benchtop is really clever as it saves you from having to balance out the finish of the table. With fresh new timber on the surface all you need is a good sanding of the surface and a fresh coat of sealer. I'm sure your upcycled dining table will provide many years of service to your family.

Again, many thanks for sharing.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dani29
Getting Established

This is an awesome transformation- thank you for sharing. 

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @TheSparrowHome , I just saw your project, on Instagram entered by Bunnings Workshop, it looked really good, so I had a look at your step by step procedure, well done, love the design and finish.

Thanks so much! Hoping it is detailed enough. 😃 

Thankyou! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects