Workshop
Ask a question

DIY Nintendo Switch TV cabinet

Codey
Finding My Feet

DIY Nintendo Switch TV cabinet

A supersized Nintendo switch/TV cabinet made from scrap wood.

Materials

Plywood

Hinges

Paint

MDF

Pine

Tools

Ryobe SanderRyobe SanderRyobe JigsawRyobe JigsawRyobe DrillRyobe DrillScreenshot 2024-07-07 091017.png

Steps

Step 1

1a.

First I took down all of my measurements based off of the TV I already had. I used some spare plywood I had left over from another renovation job and marked out the shape of the back pieces and doors.

b.

Then I cut all the pieces out. I kept the TV nearby so I could keep going back to it to confirm my measurements were correct before getting too far ahead.

c.

I then clamped all 4 bits together and sanded them as one (so they all come out identical)

20220205_141103.jpg

Step 2

2a.

The side bits were a bit tricky. I had to cut several notches in the MDF for it to be able to curve around the edge. By adjusting the depth gauge on my circular saw I was able to carefully make these cuts.

b. 

Once I was happy with the shape, I was just a matter of screwing them in place, putty the small gaps, and sand.

20220207_120459.jpg

Step 3

3a.

Next I added the shelves, I took one of the young fellas game cases to size the shelves off of. I wanted the shelves to be practical as well as fun.

b.

I added cabinet hinges for the doors. I could have easily used regular hinges but this way the doors held themselves closed.

_20220207_135926.jpg

Step 4

4a.

I ended up using spray paint for the colours because it was the closest match to the console colours.

b.

The buttons were cut out of MDF, pre-painted, and either glued or screwed into place. The joysticks have a smaller piece underneath to lift them off the door and give them depth.

20220213_115332.jpg

Step 5

5a.

I attached the TV to the side pieces with 67x19 pine, Screwing the pine to the TV using the standard screw holes on the back of the TV and extra long screws and washers.

b.

Then I attached the pine to the TV wall Bracket, and here you have it!

bgdbdb.jpg

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: DIY Nintendo Switch TV Cabinet

@Codey looks like a winner already

Just like the real thing, well done, great job.

Thank you so much! It’s incredibly rewarding to hear such positive feedback.

I wanted to create something special for my boy, and knowing that it comes across just like the real thing is the best compliment I could receive.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment and for your kind words!

Codey

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Codey. What an amazing project!

You've really nailed the brief there and I'm sure your boy is amazed with your skills. I'm just hoping my nephews don't come across your project, or I'll be building one next. Actually, that sounds like a great idea.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you so much, Mitchell! I'm thrilled to be part of the Bunnings Workshop community. It was a fun project to work on, and seeing the young fellas excitement made it all worthwhile. I'm sure your nephews would love it if you built one too! 

Happy building!

Codey

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Codey 

I thought you had purchased them! :smile: Nice work and love the curved MDF!

The guys I work with will probarlly want one now :smile:

Dave

Thanks heaps for the feedback Dave. It was a very fun project.

I love watching it take shape.

Codey

tchat
Finding My Feet

Coolest thing I have seen in a while! Well done

Codey
Finding My Feet

Thank you so much!

Stay tuned for more projects!

Codey

chaau
Finding My Feet

Re: DIY Nintendo Switch TV cabinet

Wow, such a brilliant idea, and the colours match so well.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects