Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bedroom build with custom bed

Codey
Growing in Experience

Bedroom build with custom bed

This room was originally an oversized laundry. I relocated the laundry and decided to make this into a multipurpose spare bedroom.

Materials

Plywood

Floating floor

Acacia bench top

VJ panel

Sconce lights

70 X 35 Pine studs

30 x 19 pine

42 x 19 pine

Fiber cement

Paint

Half splayed architrave

Door hardware

Tools

ozito drop saw.pngrouter.pngScreenshot 2024-07-07 091017.pngRyobe JigsawRyobe JigsawRyobe DrillRyobe DrillRyobe SanderRyobe Sandernail gun.png

Steps

Step 1

I first started by repairing the wall so I could start with a sturdy foundation. Then I framed the cupboards around the outside of the room, making the doors from FJ panel and pine.

1.jpg

The benchtops were made from Acacia timber.

2.jpg

The open shelves have hidden compartments for extra storage.

Step 2

The Queen sized bed was the last thing to do before the flooring. I made it so that when not needed, it could fold up into a day lounge. The cushions I had custom made.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Step 3

Finally I installed the floating floor, before adding the architrave and any final painting. I then added a splash of colour with the blue/green decor.

And here you have it!

_2.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bedroom build with custom bed

Hi @Codey,

Thank you for sharing this bedroom renovation project.

Another brilliant project that I'm grateful you've shared. The built in cabinets are extremely well done with the cross battens giving them a touch of class.

The light colours give the room a beautiful bright look that contrast the timber nicely. The blue and green decor nicely adds to the aesthetic giving everything a beachy vibe. I love how you've styled the room.

Have you got any photos of how the bed works? I am very interested to see how it operates.

Congratulations on another job well done.

Jacob

Codey
Growing in Experience

Hi Jacob,

Thank you so much for your kind words and thoughtful feedback! 

As for the bed, I will take some photos that show how it operates. I'll share them with you ASAP. It's a unique feature that I'm particularly proud of.

Thanks again for your support and encouragement. It means a lot!

Codey

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Codey

I look forward to seeing it.

Keep these projects coming, they're fantastic.

Jacob

Codey
Growing in Experience

Hi,

Here's some more pictures of the fold out bed and how it works.

I purchased the mattress first and based all of my measurements of it so that I could check measurements as I went. It had to sit perfectly when folded and unfolded.

The yellow tongue flooring is hinged with piano hinges. The legs just screw in when extended.

I've added some secret shelves on either side of the bed which are only visible when the bed is folded out.

Banjo thinks I built it for him 😅

fold out bed example.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Codey 

Thank you for sharing those extra photos of the folding bed. The mechanism you've designed is really clever.

Many thanks for sharing.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Codey
Growing in Experience

You're very welcome.

Codey

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects