Workshop
Ask a question

How to finish desk tabletop?

Har0ld
Just Starting Out

How to finish desk tabletop?

Good Day Everyone, 

Hi! I am new to the DIY community and I am planning to make my very first desk for my workstation. I have my eye on SpecRite 2200 x 600 x 26mm Multi-Use Merbau Panel (link below) and I know this will be the perfect table top for my workstation desk. But I am not sure what to do after I made the purchase. So, may I ask what type of seal or varnish should I use after sanding the top? something that can also resist possible water spill or moisture from cups and mugs and achieve a walnut colour.

link for the table top: https://www.bunnings.com.au/specrite-2200-x-600-x-26mm-multi-use-merbau-panel_p8330163

Really appreciate the help :smile:

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: DIY: How to Finish Table Top

Hi @Har0ld,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

I'd suggest using the Cabot's Walnut Gloss Oil Based Stain And Varnish which is a combination stain and varnish that will protect and enhance the colour of the panel.

After sanding with 240 grit sandpaper, brush off any residual sawdust before applying the stain and varnish following the manufacturers recommendations.

Apply 2-3 coats with a thin nap roller such as this UNi-PRO 180mm Enamel Paint Roller Kit 5mm Nap. Allow 8 hours between coats and lightly sand with 240 grit sandpaper between coats.

You might like to check out How To Restore Wooden Furniture for some additional guidance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects