Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Bed frame makeover

CreativeKeola
Growing in Experience

Bed frame makeover

This bed screamed late 90's  with its orange timber stain, though it was sturdy and strong,  i decided it needed a revamp to give it new life and be enjoyed for another decade or two

Materials

•   80 Grit Sand Paper
  • Sugar Soap
  •   Painters Tape
  •   1 Litre -Watson Feast Liming White
  •  Foam Roller
  •  Thin Paint Brush
  • 4 Litres of Porters Paint  in "Squid Ink"
  • Drop Sheets ( i used a old Tarp and Sheet )

* All my Materials listed came from Bunning's           excluding the tarp and drop sheet

Tools

Ryobi Orbital Sander

Steps

Step 1

Took apart the bed frame and gave a good clean with sugar soap to get any grime of the frame - rinsed with clean water and wiped over and let dry completely. 

Step 2

Gave the Bedframe a entire light sand using 80 Grit sandpaper, wiped down again and let drybefore bed 1.jpeg

Step 3

Sanded the top of the bed head and the foot to raw timber.

Using a vacuum, i vacuumedbed before 2.jpeg up any lose sawdust and gave a wipe down again.

Taped up where i didn't want paint to be

Step 4

Applied 2 coats of Porters Paint to each side allowing 2 hrs 

in-between coats.

using a paint brush and then going over with a foam roller to get a matte flawless finish.

Applied 2 coats of Watson Feast Liming White to the top of the bed head and foot head.bed finished 2.jpeg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Bed frame makeover

Hi @CreativeKeola,

Thank you for sharing your bed upcycling project.

The Porter's Squid Ink Paint looks brilliant and your choice to limewash the top of the frame gives a fantastic contrast.

I bet you're happy with the results after the huge amount of sanding.

Congratulations on a wonderful project.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects