Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What can I do to stop my tap spraying everywhere?

LauraArnold
Just Starting Out

What can I do to stop my tap spraying everywhere?

I have just moved into a new house, and the kitchen tap sprays everywhere. I have just looked under the tap head, and it seems yo be missing a part (see pictures, where there is an empty thread).

I have been looking at aerators online, but they do not seem to be large enough. The diameter of the empty thread is approx 38mm. 

I would appreciate any help on how I should proceed! I'm happy to provide further information.

20240917_205947.jpg

20240917_205922.jpg

  

20240917_210410.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What can I do to stop my tap spraying everywhere?

Hello @LauraArnold 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your kitchen tapware. 

Do you still need the plastic blue and white fitting attached to your tap? If you don't then odds are one of these aerators will fit your kitchen tap, the FIX-A-TAP WELS 5 Star 6L/min 13mm 1/2" Male Swivel Aerator or the EnduraSeal Chrome Female Multi-Function Swivel Aerator WELS 5 Star 6L/min. If you still need the plastic fitting, I suggest bringing it with you to test the brass fittings at the plumbing aisle and possibly combine it with an aerator.   

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi EricL, 

Thanks for your speedy and helpful reply! I definitely do not need the blue and white plastic fitting. Only problem is I don't know how to remove it: the white plastic part spins round and round with no purchase, and it blocks the blue plastic part. Do you have any suggestions how I could remove it?

- Laura 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @LauraArnold 

I propose using a teaspoon or a large flat butterknife with a round front and slotting it into the cross space of the blue fitting. Please make sure to wear rubber gloves for safety. Once you have a good fitting turn the spoon or knife anticlockwise to loosen the part. Another method you can try is to use long nose pliers and try to grab the side of the blue wheel. When you get a good purchase turn it anticlockwise to loosen it up. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing this device removed from your tap.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Oh my gosh, the teaspoon trick worked like a charm!! I've now removed the white and blue plastic parts. 

Now I see I need a male aerator. It is now looking more like a standard size. I will pop by Bunnings in the next few days to choose the right one.

Thank you so much for your help with this, Eric! I really appreciate it 😊🙏

20240918_065949.jpg

20240918_070118.jpg

  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects