Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is it possible to remove a shelf in rangehood cabinet?

sarzc
Community Newcomer

Is it possible to remove a shelf in rangehood cabinet?

Hi all,

Just moved into a new place and the rangehood has died so need to replace with a new one. Only thing is that most new rangehoods are 175mm in height but this old one is 300mm, so the new one will leave a considerable gap between the top of the rangehood and the permanent cabinet shelf.

Is it feasible/advisable to somehow remove or move this permanent shelf to sit flush on top of a new rangehood or should I just deal with any gaps for the time being? I'm not sure if the shelf is glued in or screwed/nailed in, and don't like the idea of taking down the cabinet to check at this point in time.

Note that the duct cover is removable, I think it was put together using some spare MDF boards.

Appreciate the advice!

remove-move-permanent-shelving-in-rangehood-cabinet-v0-esxguop8l8sd1.jpegremove-move-permanent-shelving-in-rangehood-cabinet-v0-54v4aqp8l8sd1.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is it possible to remove a shelf in rangehood cabinet?

Hello @sarzc 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your rangehood shelf.

The shelf is screwed into the cabinet and is helping to hold the rangehood in place. If you wish to remove the shelf, I suggest using a multi tool in combination with a Full Boar 32mm Wood And Metal Plunge Cut Multi-Tool Blade that will allow you to cut through the screws holding the shelf in place. 

I'm aware that you're not keen on removing the shelf from the wall. But the advantage of removing the cabinet from the wall is that it allows you to install a new shelf that is in line with your new rangehood height without having to add brackets or drill on an angle.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sarzc
Community Newcomer

Thank you Eric for the quick response!

If I was to take the cabinet off the wall to remove/relocate the shelf inside, how would I go about this? I am fairly new to these bigger DIY projects so want to make sure I don't damage anything!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sarzc 

Before you begin, please double check that there is a rangehood cabinet and not just panels placed to create a rangehood space. Just a friendly reminder that any electrical work must be carried out by a registered electrician for safety and compliance. If you are having an electrician over, please ask them to remove the power point inside your cabinet before you disassemble it.

Your first order of business is to locate all the mounting screws on the cabinet and the screws holding it from the sides. It's likely that the screws are either on the other side of the cabinets or inside the rangehood cabinet itself. Please make sure that the rangehood has been disconnected and removed before you attempt to remove the cabinet. Please note that this is a two-person disassembly job. One person to hold the cabinet to prevent it from sliding down and one person unscrewing it from the wall.

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1 and @Nailbag for their recommendations. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Amassing an Audience

Hi @sarzc 

This looks exactly like my project several months back. Getting the cabinet out is very difficult because your overheads were assembled from one end to another. This central cabinet is sandwiched in and not intended to comet on its own. That central shelf is screwed in from the left and right outsides of the cabinet.

As @EricL mentioned the first thing we need to see is if the range hood caucus is standalone which we can tell from the photos. It's highly likely that it is. So, clip the doors off from the rear of each hinge and retake a couple of wider angle ones. 

I can already see screws holding it in place as per the arrows marked potentially there will be a couple more. But before you do that, the range hood has to come out first and it will be heavy.

Un-tape the flue pipe from the top of the range hood. Then pull the power plug out. Are there any screws on the top of the shelf holding the range hood in to it? If so remove them

Rest a large plastic tub on your stove as this will be used to lower the range hood on to. Pull the filters out and see if there are any screws deep up to the top securing the range hood to the shelf? There are two bolts I can see highlighted with yellow arrows. These need to be removed. Hopefully this allows the range hood to come out.

You will need a sparky to make safe the powerpoint as that can't come out with the cabinet. He will tuck the wires in. Then under the cabinet screws and then its a matter of using some muscle twisting it up/down until it slides out.

The new range hood will be nothing like the old one. I spent a long time diffusing out how to repurpose the cabinet and support the new range hood. Then get it back in and fit the new range hood and be mm perfect. 

My photos below show my steps.

Home this helps. Nailbag

Screenshot 2024-10-02 at 5.18.16 PM.png

1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg4.jpeg5.jpeg6.jpeg7.jpeg8.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects