Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is it possible to remove a shelf in rangehood cabinet?

sarzc
Just Starting Out

Is it possible to remove a shelf in rangehood cabinet?

Hi all,

Just moved into a new place and the rangehood has died so need to replace with a new one. Only thing is that most new rangehoods are 175mm in height but this old one is 300mm, so the new one will leave a considerable gap between the top of the rangehood and the permanent cabinet shelf.

Is it feasible/advisable to somehow remove or move this permanent shelf to sit flush on top of a new rangehood or should I just deal with any gaps for the time being? I'm not sure if the shelf is glued in or screwed/nailed in, and don't like the idea of taking down the cabinet to check at this point in time.

Note that the duct cover is removable, I think it was put together using some spare MDF boards.

Appreciate the advice!

remove-move-permanent-shelving-in-rangehood-cabinet-v0-esxguop8l8sd1.jpegremove-move-permanent-shelving-in-rangehood-cabinet-v0-54v4aqp8l8sd1.jpeg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: Is it possible to remove a shelf in rangehood cabinet?

Morning @sarzc 

Can can purchase plastic wind up stands from Bunnings

or

you could go the route of using a timber support.

If you go the route of a timber support remember not to put all the weight onto a point on the bench especially if you have a stone or fake stone benchtop. Id use a larger flat plate under the timber you have for the support to spread the weight. Think like an over sized capital I  You would need minimun of two supports and more depending on how long along the wall the cabinets go. (and this is just a caution, just in case type deal)

Dave

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: Is it possible to remove a shelf in rangehood cabinet?

Afternoon @sarzc 

Just found the ones from Bunnings for supporting cabinets while you install them.

Tradesman Stan The Stand Cabinet Levelling System 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects