Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace cartridge on Mondella Rumba side lever?

Cory12
Just Starting Out

How to replace cartridge on Mondella Rumba side lever?

I am trying to replace the cartridge of the Rumba Side Lever mixer tap.  I have managed to  removed the cap and with an alley key removed the "gromet"?  However, it has fallen inside which should not matter as I can retrieve that if only I can remove the handle.  But while the handle is loose, it still will not come off. Is there another screw that I need to losen?

Any suggestions?  

Rumba Mixer Tap.jpg

Many thanks

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace Cartridge on Mondella Rumba side lever

Hello @Cory12 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your kitchen tap.

It's good to hear that you managed to remove the grub screw. Unfortunately, the handle has developed a bit of limescale inside and has acted like an adhesive. I suggest twisting/turning and pulling the handle until it comes off. Technically there is nothing holding it in place except the limescale. To get a better grip, I recommend using a tight rubber glove so that you can twist and pull it off. 

I've placed an image below to give you a general idea of how the cartridge can be accessed and replaced. I recommend bringing the old ceramic cartridge with you to the store so that you can compare it to the new one you'll be getting, just to make sure that it is the same size and shape. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cory12
Just Starting Out

Thank you very much Eric.  

Would you know the size of grub screw of the Rumba? I just want to make sure I have indeed unscrewed THE grubscrew. 

Because of it's position, I couldn't really see inside too well and just want to make sure that I have really removed it before I start forcibly yanking anything. So, what I could see initially seemed a pretty small grub screw (couldn't really tell it was a screw but I thought I'd take a chance on a YouTube instruction) and I used the smallest or next to the smallest allen key I have. When it seemed there was a grip I just kept turning.  Now there is a bigger hole which looks round but also looks like its hex. So I am wondering: did I really unscrew the grub screw?

I know this question is probably confusing but I just want to make sure I am not damaging anything by exerting force in removing the handle (which I would if I am mistaken in thinking I have removed the screw). But if I know what size  allen key you are supposed to use for the Rumba, then I know whether I am on the right track.

Thank you very much.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Cory12 

I understand how you feel, and it seems like that there is still something there holding the handle in place. But I believe that you've already removed the grub screw.  I suggest grabbing a torch and shinning it down the hole so that you can see if anything else is ledged in that handle. The typical size of the grub screw is between M5 and M8, I've placed an image below to give you an idea of what it looks like in a Pinnacle M5 - M8 Black Assorted Grub Screw Set.

Another method you can try is to use your Allen key again and see if you can slot it in with a bigger size, there should be nothing there and it should not lock or clasp onto anything else. Once you are confident that there is no grub screw you can then proceed with dismantling the handle. 

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Cory12
Just Starting Out

Thank you very much Eric. I think I have removed the grub screw.  Just need to exert more force on the handle.

Very  much appreciate your detailed instructions.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects