Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair plaster crack?

Flora1
Finding My Feet

How to repair plaster crack?

There is a small plaster crack which is on the plaster close to the top which is also on the ceiling cornice.

what is the best product to use to fill the crack and how to fill it neatly.

we don’t want to repaint the whole wall and cornice at this stage until we are ready to repaint the whole property.

thank you

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: plaster crack

Hi @Flora1,

Thank you for your question about repairing small cracks in plaster at your home.

If the crack is between the cornice and the plasterboard, you may be able to follow the steps in How to repair a cracked cornice for a seamless repair.

If the crack is not similar to the one in How to repair a cracked cornice, you may need to use a DIY Rapid Plaster Repair Kit, which contains all the materials needed to do basic plaster repair work. 

You can use the plastic joint knife to apply and smooth the compound while wet, and then sand the plaster smooth with the sanding sponge.

If the crack is fairly severe, you may need some mesh tape to give the patch strength so it will not reopen with any future movement.

If you have some photos of the crack, I would be happy to give you more specific guidance.

You might like to check out How To Patch Plaster for some additional information and a visual guide.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Thanks Jacob,

I was told by a plasterer to use  ‘no more gaps’ to fill the crack, do you also recommend this?

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Flora1,

Without seeing the crack, I couldn't say anything for sure, but No More Gaps is often good for this kind of repair.

If a plasterer has seen the crack and recommended No More Gaps, I'd suggest it should be fine.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects