Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair peeling paint and skim coat from ceiling?

dec
Just Starting Out

How to repair peeling paint and skim coat from ceiling?

What is the best product to use in order to repair a ceiling. There were several cracks and as soon as I went to repair them I found there was a large portion that was loose. The remainder of the ceiling is bonded well and I was wondering what to use to patch the areas that lost their bond. 
Render, Gyprock skim coat? Thanks

IMG_9007.jpeg

IMG_9009.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: what product is best to use to repair peeling paint and skim cost from ceiling

Hello @dec 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your ceiling.

I propose using Gyprock CSR 1.5kg DIY Rapid Plaster Repair Kit as it can be used for ceiling repairs. Make sure that the surface of the ceiling is dust free by wiping it with Selleys Sugar Soap Wall Cleaning Wipes - 25 Pack.  Once the plaster has fully cured, I suggest using the Dulux 1Step Prep Primer, Sealer & Undercoat 1L to prime the surface. Once the primer dries off, I recommend Dulux 4L Ceiling White Paint for the topcoat.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to paint a ceiling.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
colinweiren
Getting Established

Re: what product is best to use to repair peeling paint and skim cost from ceiling

Hi Eric

I have the same issue with my basement ceiling due to water damage. I have some "Gyprock CSR 2.25kg Less Mess Multi-Purpose Joint Compound" left from a previous project ( about 12 months old). Is it the right product to plaster the ceiling?

Thanks

Colin

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair peeling paint and skim coat from ceiling?

Hi @dec,

One important thing to keep in mind is to ensure that any underlying issues, such as leaks in the ceiling, are resolved before proceeding with the repairs. Addressing the root cause will prevent further damage and ensure the repair lasts. Once any issues have been sorted, you can then confidently move forward with fixing the compromised plaster and painting the ceiling. 

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Mitchell

Hi @colinweiren,

As above, before starting any repairs, it's essential to address the water damage by resolving the leak first, as this will prevent any further issues with the ceiling.

As for the product you have, the Gyprock CSR Multi-Purpose Joint Compound can definitely be used to fill holes and repair the damaged area. However, for the final layer over the repaired area, I’d recommend using a topping compound, as it will provide a smoother, finer finish, perfect for ceilings.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects