Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a discolored laminated benchtop?

Milipili
Just Starting Out

How to fix a discolored laminated benchtop?

Hi, I think using a product to clean the oven might have discoloured my kitchen bench top. was not there before using the product. might have been a cloth I left. The colour is gone. Is there any way I can fix it? tks

benchtop2.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a discolored laminated benchtop?

Hi @Milipili,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Can you advise what cleaning product you were using? Possibly a bleach based cleaner?

If this is the case, unfortunately there's not a lot you can do to restore the benchtop to its former colour and you might need to consider a replacement.

You might like to check out our range of benchtops for some possible replacements.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

It was a bleach based cleaner. How about some sort of paint? It does not have scratches, is a colour thing so im reluctant to change it

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Milipili 

I'm afraid the cleaner that you used has bleached the surface of the laminated benchtop. Getting a colour match is extremely difficult if not impossible as your benchtop has a speckled finish. Painting it is not an option as it will crack and peel off, making the damage even more noticeable.

I propose trying to rub the bleached area with olive oil for a few days and see if the bleached area will fade. If the oil does not work, your only other option is to replace your benchtop. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects