Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to move a pendant light with no ceiling cavity?

wakefield
Just Starting Out

How to move a pendant light with no ceiling cavity?

Looking for some advice on how to move a pendant light in a cathedral ceiling (I.e. no ceiling cavity). Is it possible to be done without taking a section of roof off? How much might it cost? I’m only looking to move the fitting around 300mm to the right hand side. New build, and freshly painted, so needing to understand if the whole ceiling would need to be repainted, or if it could just be patched. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to move a pendant light with no ceiling cavity

Hi @wakefield,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is fantastic to have you with us.

Is it possible to get some photos of the pendant light and where you'd like to move it to? This will help our members visualise the project and offer their best advice based on your circumstances. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images, I'm happy to help if required.

It's very hard to say whether it is possible or not without seeing it, so once you've uploaded images, I'd be more than happy to assist further.

Jacob

R4addZ
Growing in Experience

Re: how to move a pendant light with no ceiling cavity

Hi @wakefield,

Unfortunately, the simple answer to this is that you can't! DIY electrical work is illegal and can be dangerous. You will have to call in a qualified and licensed electrician to carry out this work. We can still discuss the patching later if the electrician doesn't help with that.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects