Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install rangehood ducting?

Summer4eva
Just Starting Out

How to install rangehood ducting?

Hi everyone, just got a question about a rangehood installation. I live in a unit with tiled roof. I was told 2 options: 1, the pipe can duct past the ceiling and underneath the tiled roof because there is gap between the tile roof and ceiling so it's ok?! but oil and fumes may get stuck right if it's not ducted out into proper outlet open air. 2. can drill a hole all the way past tiled roof for the ducting to go up there but i'm worried about having a hole in the roof. If the builder do a crappy job, what if i get leakage. My kitchen is L shaped, what is the best way to do this?

Thanks.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to install rangehood ducting?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Summer4eva. We're pleased to have you join us. 

It's certainly common simply to vent to the roof cavity. Let me tag some helpful members to share their thoughts: @Dave-1@TedBear@Remarka6le.

Apologies that a couple of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts are taking a well-earned break at the moment, so there might be a bit of a delay before one of our team can get back to you. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @Summer4eva 

My rangehood exits into the ceiling cavity without any issue. :smile: Good news!

Does your installation instructions say you need anything specific? If so I would follow those instructions. Especially tolerances between the edge of your plaster and the actually pipe. Note you may have a noggin or beam above where you will be wanting to run the pipe so check first.

Your concern over oil and fumes - You will have a filter on your rangehood, this requires regular servicing as in cleaning which is fairly icky I do admit. I have not really noticed any "crud" fixing itself to the inside of my rangehood after the filter sheets :smile: 

Dave

Thanks Dave

Is ceiling cavity between the ceiling and underneath the roof tiles? so it actually doesn't go through the  roof tiles and this is ok? This was recommended to me by a builder, and another builder says all the way out through the tiles to open air and another one says to pipe it through the ceiling and out the side of the house through the soffit. I'm just trying to understand which is the best option and the most cost effective option.

Afternoon @Summer4eva 

Your rangehood model will come with a set of recomendations, either on the packaging or online. To be safe I would look up the install method of the rangehood site.

You are correct, The ceiling cavity is between the the plaster ceiling and the tiles above. The two houses I have lived in both had the rangehood exhaust into the ceiling cavity. 

The Best option is to go with what the product recommends 😕 Ive seen some "dodgy" work when people havnt followed recomendations lol Best way to look at it "pay once, solve for ever" 

Dave

Hi @Summer4eva,

Either out through the tiles or through the soffit to a vent is fine. 

Installing items through roof tiles is a common occurrence every day of the week. In some circumstances, leaks can occur if the flashing isn't done correctly, but if you employ the services of reputable installer, there's nothing to worry about. If you are concerned, having it ducted to the soffit sounds like the least worrisome option.

Mitchell

Thank you, Mitchell.

My biggest concern was just to the ceiling cavity. So, there are 3 options: 1, to ceiling cavity, 2, through roof tiles, and 3, through the soffit. Which one would you recommend and is the most cost efficient and effective?

Cheers.

Into the ceiling cavity would be the cheapest option, though I wouldn't recommend that @Summer4eva. Australian building and fire regulations state that range hoods must either be recycled back into the room or be ducted to the outside. I suggest you check your local regulations to ensure compliance.

Given your hesitation in going through the tiles, I'd recommend you choose the soffit option. However, if additional ducting is required over tile venting, then there might be an additional cost.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects