Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to install new oven in existing under bench cabinet?

SteveC
Building a Reputation

How to install new oven in existing under bench cabinet?

Hi all,

I am about to replace our 28 yr old under bench oven with a new F&P pyrolitic, OB60SC. The install instructions for the new oven do not seem to allow much clearance all round, 8mm minimum clearance on width and 5mm minimum clearance on height.. This seems very minimal to me, although I guess modern ovens are very well insulated.

Existing space is 543w x 645h x 570d.

I need to retain the existing fascia to keep everything matched, it will need to be widened slightly, it is laminated.

I need to raise the bottom of the oven by about 25mm to fit the existing cutout. What material should I use for this? The current base is mdf and the current oven has two steel rails on the bottom.

Regards,

Steve

20240604_141134.jpgFP-InstallGuide_pages_3.jpgFP-InstallGuide_pages_4.jpg

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Re: How to install new oven in existing under bench cabinet?

Morning @SteveC 

Thank you for the pics and yah to no heat damage! :smile:

I still think you could move the draw box to the right by20mm or 30mm without a huge amount of trouble.

The "face" around the existing oven is only held on via the right angles.

The drawer carcus/cupboard will have some screws up into the benchtop.

The underside of the carcus/draw set may be directly connected to the feet. Or sitting on a plinth depending.

If you remove the screws from the underside of the bench and ones that probarly go through the back into the studs you could slide it to the right. You will need a new section of the base for the oven area to make sure its sealed (no mice hanging out)

Dave

SteveC
Building a Reputation

Thanks Dave,

I'll need to look into it more when the sparky removes the old oven. I have to get the sparky to do two visits, one to disconnect so I can then do the cabinet work and one to install.

I suspect the cabinets are on a plinth, not legs. Remember the house is 28 years old. I had the floor retiled about 5 years ago, so that does present a few issues when moving existing cabinets.

At this stage I don't have the funds to do a complete rebuild and the current cabinets and wall tiles are in good condition, although we may look at removing the existing wall tiles and putting in a polycarbonate splashback. But that might open a new can of worms!

If I moved the drawer box I would need to have a complete new fascia made, that would cost $320 in the same colour.

I am in fact quite capable (retired electronic engineer) of disconnecting / reconnecting myself but of course I don't have a license. If anything went wrong, insurance might not cover it.

The local sparky is giving me a good deal though.

On an other note, you said you have the same oven, how do you like it?

Regards,

Steve

Dave-1
Community Megastar

Afternoon @SteveC 

A new surrounding face for the oven shouldnt be too hard, potentially you could modify the old one? Add strips to either side?

I dont mind it tho the grill has never worked properly, Think I got half of it working once but never really figured out if it was me or the grill lol It took me a bit to understand the flip down the top bar/opening for the oven to work. I had to contact the estate agent as I couldnt get it to turn on at first. The hot plates are seperate but I am down to only two working :smile: Well and trully need a new kitchen and am looking forward to doing one.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SteveC 

I now understand what you meant when you mentioned the angle brackets holding the fascia. Trimming it to allow the new oven to fit should not be an issue. But will you be building a new cabinet inside or leaving it as is? 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your new oven installed.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SteveC
Building a Reputation

Hi Eric,

I do not plan on adding a new cabinet, the new oven will be a proud fit due to space requirements and once I trim the fascia it should fit OK. As Dave mentioned, I will fill the gap at the bottom to prevent vermin. That piece is not critical as it will be out of view.

Regards,

Steve

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects